Lawyer or English teacher/Primary school teacher

Watch
JessicaWw
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys,

So I’ve looked through options and career paths I could do down with my GSCES. Unfortunately, I can’t do anything science related ( chemistry, biology, or physics) as I’m on the foundation paper that limits me to getting a 5. - same with maths I will only get 5s in those Subjects.

Ps: I’d like to note I cannot go on higher as I have 4 weeks left of year 11

English is probably one of my best subjects going along with business. English grade (6/7) Buisness grade distinction (7/8) - English teacher/primary teacher is kinda a back up plan as my grades will be (5-7), I know these are not the best grade and I will most likely get 5s and 6s.

I believe I’m in that section where I have options but because I’m on foundation for maths and science it can close some of them.

I’m unsure of what other 2 subjects to take and if there’s any that would help for law or would just look good as an alevel. The ones I have chosen I should be able to do at alevel.

Please leave any suggestions;

I have till October to make a decision and I have one subject I will definitely be taking - English literature.
Elizabeth135
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by JessicaWw)
Hey guys,

So I’ve looked through options and career paths I could do down with my GSCES. Unfortunately, I can’t do anything science related ( chemistry, biology, or physics) as I’m on the foundation paper that limits me to getting a 5. - same with maths I will only get 5s in those Subjects.

English is probably one of my best subjects going along with business. English grade (6/7) Buisness grade distinction (7/8) - English teacher/primary teacher is kinda a back up plan as my grades will be (5-7), I know these are not the best grade and I will most likely get 5s and 6s.

I believe I’m in that section where I have options but because I’m on foundation for maths and science it can close some of them.

I’m unsure of what other 2 subjects to take and if there’s any that would help for law or would just look good as an alevel. The ones I have chosen I should be able to do at alevel.

I have till October to make a decision and I have one subject I will definitely be taking - English literature.
hiii, for law school you will need to achieve an AAA at Alevel and this will usually be in essay based subjects such as English (which you are looking at) history, politics, or science related subjects. For a law degree they will also take into account your GCSEs which they will probably require to be at a 6/7 in all standard subjects, however if you are looking to go into law but not a lawyer, a solicitor etc the entry requirements will be lower but you will still need a degree. As for teaching you will still need As and Bs at Alevel and a solid set of GCSE results, for primary school you will need maths English and science at a C/4. Hope that helps
JessicaWw
Rep:
?
(Original post by Elizabeth135)
hiii, for law school you will need to achieve an AAA at Alevel and this will usually be in essay based subjects such as English (which you are looking at) history, politics, or science related subjects. For a law degree they will also take into account your GCSEs which they will probably require to be at a 6/7 in all standard subjects, however if you are looking to go into law but not a lawyer, a solicitor etc the entry requirements will be lower but you will still need a degree. As for teaching you will still need As and Bs at Alevel and a solid set of GCSE results, for primary school you will need maths English and science at a C/4. Hope that helps
For English teaching would 5-7s be solid GCSEs? - that’s probably what I’ll get in my GCSEs -as far as lawyer goes I can’t get above an 5 in maths and science because I’m on foundation. English will be a 6/7 along with art, and business.

Teaching seems like an easier root for me. I’m not gonna lie I don’t know what I want to do but does English lit, psychology and Economics keep doors open or do you think there would be better options to take. - English lit is set in stone.
Elizabeth135
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey guys,

Your best bet will be to find all the unis that offer the accredited law degree and look into the requirements and work experience specific to that university, Cambridge for example will require A*AA where as others may only want AAB. Some may also request specific A levels to be taken, where as others may not have a preference, and some may even expect work experience. Law schools may be quite competitive to you could also be asked to attend an interview. You will probably require a personal statement as well, so maybe try helping around school and attending extra clubs as this will show you are a rounded student who has the qualities needed for the course. I'm not the most educated on teaching degrees so for that I would suggest looking at league tables and again looking at what each university requires. https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...s/rankings/law this might help, best of luck!
Elizabeth135
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For English teaching would 5-7s be solid GCSEs? - that’s probably what I’ll get in my GCSEs -as far as lawyer goes I can’t get above an 5 in maths and science because I’m on foundation. English will be a 6/7 along with art, and business.

Teaching seems like an easier root for me. I’m not gonna lie I don’t know what I want to do but does English lit, psychology and Economics keep doors open or do you think there would be better options to take. - English lit is set in stone.
At primary school level you are usually expected to teach all subjects, maths English and science, but with secondary school you tend to only teach one subject, unless you work in PE. So at primary you would get a degree in primary education or a degree of education, usually something along those lines, but for secondary I believe you take a university level degree in you chosen subject (English for you) which will require a 7-9 in GCSE and an A or B at Alevel and then undertake teacher training. As for GCSEs most teaching courses require about 80 UCAS points and three GCSEs at C/4, which seems perfectly manageable for you! This is what I have found from a little bit off googling so I'm not sure if it is exactly what is necessary but I'll supply the links so you can have a read.
https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/te...aining-england
https://www.teachercertificationdegr...ers.%20More%20 I believe this one is US based although in the UK we follow similar education routes
https://www.ucas.com/teaching-in-england
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcse...school-teacher
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...come-a-teacher
https://www.bachelorstudies.com/Bach...nited-Kingdom/
JessicaWw
Rep:
?
At primary school level you are usually expected to teach all subjects, maths English and science, but with secondary school you tend to only teach one subject, unless you work in PE. So at primary you would get a degree in primary education or a degree of education, usually something along those lines, but for secondary I believe you take a university level degree in you chosen subject (English for you) which will require a 7-9 in GCSE and an A or B at Alevel and then undertake teacher training. As for GCSEs most teaching courses require about 80 UCAS points and three GCSEs at C/4, which seems perfectly manageable for you! This is what I have found from a little bit off googling so I'm not sure if it is exactly what is necessary but I'll supply the links so you can have a read.
https://www.ucas.com/postgraduate/te...aining-england
https://www.teachercertificationdegr...ers.%20More%20 I believe this one is US based although in the UK we follow similar education routes
https://www.ucas.com/teaching-in-england
https://www.ucas.com/ucas/after-gcse...school-teacher
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and...come-a-teacher
https://www.bachelorstudies.com/Bach...nited-Kingdom/
I may only get a 6 in English but I’m sure if I get an A or A* In alevel I should be alright? Most of my grades will be C(5)/B(6) with maybe one or 2 As in English Lang and business
Elizabeth135
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I may only get a 6 in English but I’m sure if I get an A or A* In alevel I should be alright? Most of my grades will be C(5)/B(6) with maybe one or 2 As in English Lang and business
I believe you should be okay! Check out the colleges or sixth forms in your area and find the top scoring one that you can get into with your predicted grades, this will enable you to get the best results you can. Pick courses that you enjoy but also feel you can get solid grades in. You can have a look at what topics are included in the courses on the college websites, make sure you are confident in these topics and most importantly enjoy them. As I've said most unis require a C/4 in a few subjects so if you can get those you should be okay, however if you don't, it is not such a big of a deal as they give more weight to A level results. However if you pick a competitive course they you will want a decent set of GCSE results as they are selective! Give it your best shot at A level and keep on top of everything, take a look at what the precisely what the unis want as they may even require work exp, it also helps to look at job openings, not for applying but for seeing what degrees and qualifications are necessary
JessicaWw
Rep:
?
I believe you should be okay! Check out the colleges or sixth forms in your area and find the top scoring one that you can get into with your predicted grades, this will enable you to get the best results you can. Pick courses that you enjoy but also feel you can get solid grades in. You can have a look at what topics are included in the courses on the college websites, make sure you are confident in these topics and most importantly enjoy them. As I've said most unis require a C/4 in a few subjects so if you can get those you should be okay, however if you don't, it is not such a big of a deal as they give more weight to A level results. However if you pick a competitive course they you will want a decent set of GCSE results as they are selective! Give it your best shot at A level and keep on top of everything, take a look at what the precisely what the unis want as they may even require work exp, it also helps to look at job openings, not for applying but for seeing what degrees and qualifications are necessary
I’m planning of having a job in 6th form anyways, so I can save money when I go to uni.

Is Buisness a good alevel to take I’d say I’m fairly good at it?
Elizabeth135
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m planning of having a job in 6th form anyways, so I can save money when I go to uni.

Is Buisness a good alevel to take I’d say I’m fairly good at it?
Yeah I'd say it's a good one to take, it will give you a well rounded view on life and seems like an enjoyable subject, but as with any just keep on top of everything and make sure you understand all the content. It may also look good to unis as it can show you're good with numbers and you understand how things work and also you will be able to handle your finances while you are away from home. It will also set you up to be able to own your own business. I personally am not looking at taking it, I haven't even done it for GCSE, as I'm looking to go into a veterinary career (biology, chemistry, maths and an extended project qualification is what I'm looking at for A level) but if you are confident and you enjoy it, I would say go for it, so long as you took it at GCSE otherwise they won't even accept you into the course! As for the job, that is a brilliant idea, if you have any extra time left over look for a volunteering job as well, unis LOVE to see those. Possibly in a charity shop, in a care home, with animals in a shelter, local organisation like scouts ect or just anything you can find. It will give you something to do (if your anything like me I can't bear to be sitting down for anything longer than an hour) and will show sense of community spirit and all that stuff to waffle about in your interview and personal statement. Pick a job that will teach you skills that apply to either teaching or law or whatever you decide to go into, this will 1 teach you the skills and 2 you can say how you learnt it and will give you a better position than say someone who stacked shelves. Again, best of luck and feel free to ask any more questions!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (243)
75.23%
No (80)
24.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed