soularius01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hiya
I am currently revising Romeo and Juliet for my upcoming exam this Thursday where I have to remember key quotes and themes from the play. In this exam we will not have the luxury of being able to use the book of Romeo and Juliet to find the quotes which we previously could in our last exams.
My teacher suggested I should memorise 10 main quotes, but I need some tips on what quotes and themes I should revise and how I should memorize them. Any help you could offer would be great.
Last edited by soularius01; 1 month ago
Sam115511
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey there! We have finished all of our romeo and Juliet content but before it I was a consistent full mark student and I’d be happy to help!

Firstly, do you have any idea as to what question you are being asked or is it completely blind?

Secondly, I would look at finding multi applicable quotes. Ones that spring to mind straight away are: anything from act 2 scene 2, I recommend knowing that scene like the back of your hand.
Any of the interactions between friar Lawrence and Romeo are good ones in terms of love or masculinity which are two past questions.
“Swear by thy gracious self, Which is the god of my idolatry” this quote is amazing for epitomising Juliet’s love for romeo and it’s one I always remembered. Catholic Italy was very, very catholic and Juliet blaspheming to refer to romeo as her God shows her love. Per contra you can have: “heaven is here, where Juliet lives” which is a similar quote just for romeo to Juliet

Wishing you the best of luck and I’m happy to help with anything!
soularius01
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sam115511)
Hey there! We have finished all of our romeo and Juliet content but before it I was a consistent full mark student and I’d be happy to help!

Firstly, do you have any idea as to what question you are being asked or is it completely blind?

Secondly, I would look at finding multi applicable quotes. Ones that spring to mind straight away are: anything from act 2 scene 2, I recommend knowing that scene like the back of your hand.
Any of the interactions between friar Lawrence and Romeo are good ones in terms of love or masculinity which are two past questions.
“Swear by thy gracious self, Which is the god of my idolatry” this quote is amazing for epitomising Juliet’s love for romeo and it’s one I always remembered. Catholic Italy was very, very catholic and Juliet blaspheming to refer to romeo as her God shows her love. Per contra you can have: “heaven is here, where Juliet lives” which is a similar quote just for romeo to Juliet

Wishing you the best of luck and I’m happy to help with anything!
Thank you so much for answering back so quickly, for the upcoming exam it is going to be completely blind which is causing me to struggle on how many quotes to revise.
What would you consider the ideal amount of quotes to remember and what themes could you suggest for me to really focus-love,power,conflict etc.
Sam115511
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by soularius01)
Thank you so much for answering back so quickly, for the upcoming exam it is going to be completely blind which is causing me to struggle on how many quotes to revise.
What would you consider the ideal amount of quotes to remember and what themes could you suggest for me to really focus-love,power,conflict etc.
It’s completely about hitting those assessment objectives. If you’re confident in being able to extrapolate and say a lot about one quote for AO2 then you only really need two quotes a paragraph perhaps even less. So make sure you’re learning bulk quotes that have a really deep meaning.
Another good way of doing this is by knowing the prologue as There are many meaningful things to be said about each line.

As for themes, I think romantic love and fate are your biggest themes of the play and so you really need things about those.
Off the top of my head, the past questions have been: aggressive male behaviour (think Gregory and Sampson or romeo and tybalt), Juliet’s changing character (think the conversations she has with her mother, or Her soliloquy in act 3 scene 2) and finally, honour and revenge (Romeo honouring Mercutio by killing Tybalt, Romeo burying Paris in act 5)

And ultimately, I think it’s quite mean that your school have given you no provision as to what the question will be considering the circumstances, so I’m really sorry about that
zoey101xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It’s completely about hitting those assessment objectives. If you’re confident in being able to extrapolate and say a lot about one quote for AO2 then you only really need two quotes a paragraph perhaps even less. So make sure you’re learning bulk quotes that have a really deep meaning.
Another good way of doing this is by knowing the prologue as There are many meaningful things to be said about each line.

As for themes, I think romantic love and fate are your biggest themes of the play and so you really need things about those.
Off the top of my head, the past questions have been: aggressive male behaviour (think Gregory and Sampson or romeo and tybalt), Juliet’s changing character (think the conversations she has with her mother, or Her soliloquy in act 3 scene 2) and finally, honour and revenge (Romeo honouring Mercutio by killing Tybalt, Romeo burying Paris in act 5)

And ultimately, I think it’s quite mean that your school have given you no provision as to what the question will be considering the circumstances, so I’m really sorry about that
2019 was how is love presented in romeo and juliet ( this is aqa spec btw)
Sam115511
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by zoey101xo)
(Original post by zoey101xo)
Haha that is a gem of a question
zoey101xo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Haha that is a gem of a question
Ahahaha yess I remember sitting that paper so vividly and we also got Sheila in inspector calls.
soularius01
Rep:
?

Last exam we did was based on the theme of conflict which we knew about beforehand (sadly enough this time no) so I am hoping it is something I am already quite familiar on. I was hoping could you provide me with quotes on the theme of fate if possible? got no idea what to say about this one.
Sam115511
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Last exam we did was based on the theme of conflict which we knew about beforehand (sadly enough this time no) so I am hoping it is something I am already quite familiar on. I was hoping could you provide me with quotes on the theme of fate if possible? got no idea what to say about this one.
Of course.

Act 1 Scene 4, Benvolio and Romeo discuss the ball, Romeo says, “...Some consequence yet hanging in the stars” when referring to what will happen there.

Romeo also uses this specific syntax before the death of mercutio, ‘this day’s black fate’

Romeo further toys with the idea of fate in act 5 when digging into the tomb, ‘I defy you stars’

The prologue says, “star Cross’d lovers” which of course shows their love is above any human understanding

Anything about foreshadowing can be used to explore the ideas of fate too.

I have managed to find the structure and exemplar essay we used when exploring fate in class in year 10: https://docs.google.com/document/u/0...8Q/mobilebasic

I hope this helps!
anonymous063
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya
I am currently revising Romeo and Juliet for my upcoming exam this Thursday where I have to remember key quotes and themes from the play. In this exam we will not have the luxury of being able to use the book of Romeo and Juliet to find the quotes which we previously could in our last exams.
My teacher suggested I should memorise 10 main quotes, but I need some tips on what quotes and themes I should revise and how I should memorize them. Any help you could offer would be great.
hey how was it! what were the questions!
soularius01
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonymous063)
hey how was it! what were the questions!
Hiya
Thank you for asking

It was not too bad all considering It was a awkward question but I was able to write the main points down.
The question was "in Romeo and Juliet how does the writer present the relationship between adults and young people" and the extract we were given was limited but it was alright.
Last edited by soularius01; 1 month ago
Sam115511
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hiya
Thank you for asking

It was not too bad all considering It was a awkward question but I was able to write the main points down.
The question was "in Romeo and Juliet how does the writer present the relationship between adults and young people" and the extract we were given was limited but it was alright.
Oh God that is an atrocious question.
It’s almost like your school don’t want you to get good grades lol
soularius01
Rep:
?
Oh God that is an atrocious question.
It’s almost like your school don’t want you to get good grades lol
I know right but lets not jinx it lol
I should be alright, with the mocks I did a month or so ago I did pretty well right now I am predicated grade 8 so fingers crossed.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (96)
27.51%
No (253)
72.49%

Watched Threads