imthe12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have a Business and management degree.

Should I do a computer science masters or how can I get into computing.

Jobs directly related to the degree include:

Application analyst
Applications developer
Cyber security analyst
Data analyst
Database administrator
Forensic computer analyst
Game designer
Games developer
Information systems manager
IT consultant
Software engineer
Systems analyst
UX designer
Web designer
Web developer
SBROOKS88
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by imthe12)

Application analyst
Applications developer
Cyber security analyst
Data analyst
Database administrator
Game designer
Games developer
IT consultant
Software engineer
Systems analyst
UX designer
Web designer
Web developer
I honestly don't think you need a Masters to get into Computer Science, if your degree can already give you these job options after. I would just take some short courses online if it's really the coding part that you're missing. Masters degrees aren't always the best choice and incredibly expensive, time consuming. If I am completely honest though, you would have an extremely hard time getting a job as a designer (Having studied and worked in design for 10 years) or Data analyst etc... if you have studied Business and Management, these are extremely technical subjects. However, if you want to transition into a new industry then that's something entirely different. I would highly recommend taking an online bootcamp course if that's what you want to work in.
LearningPeople
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

Application analyst
Applications developer
Cyber security analyst
Data analyst
Database administrator
Game designer
Games developer
IT consultant
Software engineer
Systems analyst
UX designer
Web designer
Web developer
Hi imthe12 you definitely don't need to do a masters to get into computing. Have you considered professional certifications? Getting certified is the stamp of approval needed to show employers you have the skills needed to carry out a role, such as the ones you have listed above.

Getting certified can be done online, at home, in your spare time. Plus, digital education is more affordable than a post-graduate degree and you could complete your course quicker than a masters.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions if you have any, it sounds like you have a great future ahead of you!

Good luck,
Jenny
imthe12
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by LearningPeople)
Hi imthe12 you definitely don't need to do a masters to get into computing. Have you considered professional certifications? Getting certified is the stamp of approval needed to show employers you have the skills needed to carry out a role, such as the ones you have listed above.

Getting certified can be done online, at home, in your spare time. Plus, digital education is more affordable than a post-graduate degree and you could complete your course quicker than a masters.

I'd be happy to answer any more questions if you have any, it sounds like you have a great future ahead of you!

Good luck,
Jenny
Would you recommend any websites so I can learn ICT.
What are the costs involved?
The information on the internet is so broad.
Also ICT is broad which qualifications are beneficial?
LearningPeople
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would you recommend any websites so I can learn ICT.
What are the costs involved?
The information on the internet is so broad.
Also ICT is broad which qualifications are beneficial?
Hi imthe12

Based on the ideal careers you mentioned in your original message, such as cyber security analyst, IT consultant, systems analyst, there are a few different certifications you could do to help you get the skills needed. The first one we recommend to our IT students is the CompTIA A+. It gives you the grounding and foundations needed to follow any career path in IT and is highly beneficial to anyone looking to make this career path a reality. There are then a few more from CompTIA (like the Network+, Security+ CySA+) as well as certifications from Cisco.

For things like web development or software development, something like an online bootcamp could be what you need. Again, it's usually quicker and cheaper than a post-grad degree.

As a Learning People rep, I'd love to suggest using us as your course provider (if not too biased!) as we can provide the study material, exams, expert mentors, student support and careers support to help you get into tech.

I completely understand that the information on the internet is really broad, so if you'd like, one of our career consultants could chat through your options with you. Feel free to get in contact and we'd be more than happy to help.

All the best,
Jenny
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads