The Student Room Group

Anyone else find dating apps to be useless?

I used tinder , pof , bumble it seemed ok. But a lot of the girl have no intention of meeting you. It all goes smooth you arrange a date and a time and nothing comes off it. Some even block you on the day! I kinda give up NGL

Scroll to see replies

yeah, they are pretty useless.
Original post by theycallmegigi
yeah, they are pretty useless.

They are the women flake by purpose... it’s just ridiculous really boring place too
It's a numbers game.

If 8 out of 10 flake, it's the 2 that turn up that count.

If 50 out of 50 are flaking, you may want to look into your profile pictures, text and what you say in your messages to them. Probably with the aim of being more polarising. So that some might hate your profile, whilst your target audience will love it.

Peofessional looking photos are a must for getting the best results from these sites.
Original post by Mainsusspect
They are the women flake by purpose... it’s just ridiculous really boring place too

agreed. I could never do a dating site. I need to see you in person and touch you and hear you..
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
It's a numbers game.

If 50 out of 50 are flaking, you may want to look into your profile pictures, text and what you say in your messages to them. Probably with the aim of being more polarising. So that some might hate your profile, whilst your target audience will love it.

Peofessional looking photos are a must for getting the best results from these sites.

It's precisely what I cannot stand about it. Commodification of people. I might as well pose as a mannequin in a shop window and wait for passers-by to rate me out of 10 while I perform mime tricks to entertain them. But you don't get paid for it.

Eugh. If they want someone who makes them laugh they can date a clown instead.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 6
never tried one myself but yeah, useless is what i generally hear. too many people on those apps so you're basically just taking a shot in the dark and seems to being people down when they don't score. but i suspect being disappointed mainly happens cuz of too high expectations of what the dating app can actually do for you in practice and the reality that a lot of users don't take the app as seriously and not as desperate for a date as others. at least, when i talked to my friends about it it seems they often treat the app more like a social media thing, playing around with it while they watch TV. that's just the reality of it that one must accept if they choose to go on dating apps. plus, the acceptance that it's hard to build a serious interest in someone over a photo and a short bio that doesn't really tell you much.
Original post by Dunnig Kruger
It's a numbers game.

Ya that’s about right 8 out of 10 to be fair.. professional photos? True but that’s so much effort haha
Original post by Joleee
never tried one myself but yeah, useless is what i generally hear. too many people on those apps so you're basically just taking a shot in the dark and seems to being people down when they don't score. but i suspect being disappointed mainly happens cuz of too high expectations of what the dating app can actually do for you in practice and the reality that a lot of users don't take the app as seriously and not as desperate for a date as others. at least, when i talked to my friends about it it seems they often treat the app more like a social media thing, playing around with it while they watch TV. that's just the reality of it that one must accept if they choose to go on dating apps. plus, the acceptance that it's hard to build a serious interest in someone over a photo and a short bio that doesn't really tell you much.

Ya I wanted a gf but I just gave up...
Anyone else?
They are only useful if you are good looking and just after sex
Original post by Anonymous

Yeah pretty much. If you are to remove vagueness about them and get to the point of what they are for...

Essentially, they are listings of men where the women chat for fun with average or lower looking guys with no intentions to meet them, while also attempting to hookup with the hottest looking guys that they possibly can.
Reply 12
Yeah pretty much and a lot of girls are only on there for a laugh/validation too which never helps.

I've had matches in the past but got unmatched a) immediately or b) after trying to talk and having a non existent conversation with the person. Some of my friends however, have had better luck; one of them has been with his tinder found gf for a year now whilst others have had dates, even those with no bio and basic pictures so must probably be me..

They don’t work for me I’d class myself as a 6.5/10 I’d had chances off hookups very few times but that’s it they don’t work
Original post by TJ1997
Yeah pretty much and a lot of girls are only on there for a laugh/validation too which never helps.

I've had matches in the past but got unmatched a) immediately or b) after trying to talk and having a non existent conversation with the person. Some of my friends however, have had better luck; one of them has been with his tinder found gf for a year now whilst others have had dates, even those with no bio and basic pictures so must probably be me..

Nope I’ve had the same experience lad!
Yeah pretty much. If you are to remove vagueness about them and get to the point of what they are for...

Essentially, they are listings of men where the women chat for fun with average or lower looking guys with no intentions to meet them, while also attempting to hookup with the hottest looking guys that they possibly can.

It sucks
waa waa waa women bad
Original post by NonIndigenous
It's precisely what I cannot stand about it. Commodification of people. I might as well pose as a mannequin in a shop window and wait for passers-by to rate me out of 10 while I perform mime tricks to entertain them. But you don't get paid for it.

Eugh. If they want someone who makes them laugh they can date a clown instead.

I do agree that dating sites are artificial places. Both for men and women. And that they are more infuriating for men than women, because of the numbers on there.

And that what works best on dating sites is a bit of a load of artificial stuff.
And that dating sites may not show humanity in its' best light.

But then again, participation in them is entirely optional.

And finding a romantic partner is a marketing and sales task. With principles like setting up a large enough and effective enough sales funnel making a lot of sense. Because that's the way to make your own luck. It makes sense for the mouth of your dating sales funnel to include people that you come across in real life as well as those on dating sites.

Making women laugh during the messaging stage does reduce the chances of a flake. You don't have to be a performing monkey. Just someone with a witty sense of humour is good enough to give you an edge.

Original post by Mainsusspect
Ya that’s about right 8 out of 10 to be fair.. professional photos? True but that’s so much effort haha

If the professional photos turn the 8 out 10 flake rate into a 7 out of 10 then they are investment that's worth making.
Or if they lead to you arranging dates with 15 women in the time it previously took you to do 10, then they are worth doing.

It's pretty stupid to turn down the chance of increasing both the quantity of contacts and the flakiness quality just because you can't be bothered to publish professional looking photos.
You have to be pretty good looking to do well on there as a man (or have some good luck, I guess).

It's easy for women on them, since no matter what they look like, they will get hundreds of matches.
You have to be pretty good looking to do well on there as a man (or have some good luck, I guess).

It's easy for women on them, since no matter what they look like, they will get hundreds of matches.

True! When you up stuff like that you’ll be called an incel sadly though!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending