mhubert0
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Is history, geography and economics a good combination of A-levels? I am thinking of doing a degree in something like History or PPE however im not sure yet as i dont know what i want to be when im older. I was also thinking of taking history biology and chemistry as i enjoy them but i dont think i want to do a career in medicine.
Ralfinho
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mhubert0)
Is history, geography and economics a good combination of A-levels? I am thinking of doing a degree in something like History or PPE however im not sure yet as i dont know what i want to be when im older. I was also thinking of taking history biology and chemistry as i enjoy them but i dont think i want to do a career in medicine.
I took History, Biology, Chemistry. And let me tell you it was pretty tough. I think people make a big deal out of A Level combinations. Just take subjects you know you can handle and enjoy, and that's they fit with what you want to do. By the sound of it, they seem pretty good together. To know if the subjects fit with what you want to do, it might be worth looking at uni courses to see if they offer lower grade requirements based off of a combination.
thekingellie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by mhubert0)
For context I'm just about to finish year 13. I was one of those people who took both geography and history at GCSE and then at A-Level and I can confidently say no regrets!!! I don't do economics but from what I've heard it's an accessible subject. I'm sure you've heard that geography and history are 'facilitating subjects' - definitely take at least one. I personally have loved them both throughout the last 2 years, but if you had to pick one, pick geography. It is the MOST interesting subject in terms of educating yourself on current issues. Many people often only like certain modules in history, whereas geography is diverse and even students in my classes who don't care about education and their grades, find it interesting. I think some people assume history is more demanding essay wise, but for history, all my essays (except for the NEA) were 20 markers, whereas geography has 33 markers. Also, I know this is a sweeping generalisation, but in practise, it's easier to get higher grades in geography than history. Geography and History are both equally difficult BUT (I don't know how much you know about grading and 'bell curves'), but generally lots of 'smart' people take history, so it's harder to get good grades, geography on the other hand, you can drop more marks (generally) and still get an A grade. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (20)
28.17%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (7)
9.86%
No I am happy with my choice (40)
56.34%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (4)
5.63%

Watched Threads