Criminal law problem questions - getting a first

Watch
hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Does anyone have any tips on how to get a first in criminal PQs? I seem to constantly hover around the 65 mark!
hopeful-lawyer
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Bump
one_two_three
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can you give an example of a question and your answer? Even a brief one, that will make it easier to see what more you can do.
Nightwish1234
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hopeful-lawyer)
Does anyone have any tips on how to get a first in criminal PQs? I seem to constantly hover around the 65 mark!
Without an example of your answer it is very difficult to give you advice that directly relates to your question. A first class essay does more than merely answer a question with 'yes or no', showing in depth knowledge of the law in the area by being live to the little details in the PQ and areas that the case law is not clear cut. Mark schemes vary slightly between universities, however general points that can help may include:
- Structure: Your essay should be clear and easy to follow, with the examiner knowing what you will address and advise from the outset. For each point, it is helpful to follow structures like IRAC (Issue, Rule, Apply, Conclude).
- Style: A technique that will get you far, your writing must be concise and easy to follow.
- Content: A first class essay will be able to identify red-herrings and little quirks that would a weaker one would not. This can only be achieved by having an excellent grasp of the case law, knowing areas of contention (for example, where cases were only decided by a narrow majority or interesting points were raised in obiter). Something we see a lot of, especially on TSR, is students inclination to go into excessive detail on points that really don't contribute much to the overall argument.
- Discussion: Following on from knowledge of the case law, it can also be handy to know contemporary issues, so that where relevant you can say 'the law is this, but reform is imminent/this position is unsatisfactory'. Here it is handy to read the purposes behind the rules being made, how they came about, and if they are thought to be going in the wrong direction.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise