The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Oxford and cambridge mst

Are the Oxford MSt. and Cambridge MSt. in Creative Writing equally competitive? Oxford seems a little snooty vs Cambridge seems more friendly. Any folks who have applied/ been accepted / been rejected for the MSt. in creative writing please share!
Original post by Ss2021
Are the Oxford MSt. and Cambridge MSt. in Creative Writing equally competitive? Oxford seems a little snooty vs Cambridge seems more friendly. Any folks who have applied/ been accepted / been rejected for the MSt. in creative writing please share!

I doubt they are, as the MSt degree is completely different in each Uni. At Oxford it's a two year, full time Masters (I think). At Cam it's the name given to their part time degrees (I know!). In which case, they appeal to two very different applicant groups. You can either stop everything and g and live in Oxford for two years, or you can't and need to keep working while studying.

You might try asking on the Cam postgrad thread at the top of the forum as there are few Creative Writing users on there. One I think has just gone Cam MSt to Cam PhD.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
When I read the information on the university websites about the creative writing MSt. at Oxford and Cambridge they both seemed very similar, in the way they are set up and in their residencies and time required for the degree.
Original post by Ss2021
When I read the information on the university websites about the creative writing MSt. at Oxford and Cambridge they both seemed very similar, in the way they are set up and in their residencies and time required for the degree.

My mistake, Oxford are running it as a part-time degree. My advice still stands though, ask in the Cam postgrad thread, there have been several convos around the Cam version and at least one person graduating from the MSt to a PhD this year.
Reply 4
A friend of a friend did the MSt Crime Writing and said, 'if you want to be an average writer, it's great, but if you want to excel, don't go here.' She didn't have a good experience and wished she'd gone to UEA or KC. I don't know what the generic CW MSt is like, but it put me off applying, so I've chosen KC and UAE, which I'm told have higher teaching standards. It's mad because you think Oxbridge is going to be the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending