structure and bonding

Watch this thread
please.readth
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Compare the structure and bonding of the three compounds:
• carbon dioxide
• magnesium oxide
• silicon dioxide.
Theobromine
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Different bonds will form between two non-metals, compared to the bond formed between a metal and a non-metal. Think about which types of bond form between which types of element.

There are also multiple different types of structure; metallic and simple covalent to name a few. The type of bonding in a compound will go some way in determining the structure.

I hope this gave you some hints on where to start.
please.readth
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Theobromine)
Different bonds will form between two non-metals, compared to the bond formed between a metal and a non-metal. Think about which types of bond form between which types of element.

There are also multiple different types of structure; metallic and simple covalent to name a few. The type of bonding in a compound will go some way in determining the structure.

I hope this gave you some hints on where to start.
thanks! so is carbon dioxide covalently bonded, magnesium oxide ionically bonded and silicon dioxide covalently bonded?
Theobromine
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by please.readth)
thanks! so is carbon dioxide covalently bonded, magnesium oxide ionically bonded and silicon dioxide covalently bonded?
That is correct in terms of bonding, but in terms of structure, carbon dioxide and silicon dioxide are actually two different types of covalent structure. Carbon dioxide is 'simple covalent' whereas silicon dioxide is 'giant covalent/macromolecular', like carbon allotropes such as diamond, graphite, etc.
If you haven't learnt about giant covalent structures then saying covalent for both should suffice, but if you have learnt about it then it is important to mention as the question asks for both structure and bonding.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (29)
17.58%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (42)
25.45%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (85)
51.52%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (9)
5.45%

Watched Threads