annonymous2394
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
'Desertification trends are entirely a product of human-induced climate change as opposed to naturally occurring phenomena.' To what extent do you agree with this view? [20 marks]

I was under the impression human activities such as overgrazing, population pressure, overcultivation etc. were main causes of desertification but the question doesn't seem to lead towards this so not entirely sure where to go with my argument ?
Thanks
oliviaalexandera
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by annonymous2394)
'Desertification trends are entirely a product of human-induced climate change as opposed to naturally occurring phenomena.' To what extent do you agree with this view? [20 marks]

I was under the impression human activities such as overgrazing, population pressure, overcultivation etc. were main causes of desertification but the question doesn't seem to lead towards this so not entirely sure where to go with my argument ?
Hey, that is a tricky question but i think the key thing to remember here is that there is no right or wrong view. Although the question statements seems to lead towards one view it doesn't necessarily mean that is the same as your opinion based on your knowledge. to this question i would agree with you that human activities like the ones you mentioned are main drivers of desertification, so in order to answer the question i would link these factors to climate change. for example overgrazing causes reduction in vegetation which leads to less carbon in biosphere and more in atmosphere which triggers positive feedback and causes global warming and climate change and so on. i would also stress in my argument that climate change has significant influence on naturally occurring phenomenon. for example with climate change comes the increase of extreme weather so results in higher temps, drought which leads to desertification (this is simplistic overview but i'm sure you can find some notes to help you go into more detail). so all in all my main argument would be that i agree with this view to a significant extent as human induced climate change not only causes desertification directly but also enhances the impact of naturally occurring phenomena. i hope this helps also just out of interest where did you source this question from ?
annonymous2394
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by oliviaalexandera)
Hey, that is a tricky question but i think the key thing to remember here is that there is no right or wrong view. Although the question statements seems to lead towards one view it doesn't necessarily mean that is the same as your opinion based on your knowledge. to this question i would agree with you that human activities like the ones you mentioned are main drivers of desertification, so in order to answer the question i would link these factors to climate change. for example overgrazing causes reduction in vegetation which leads to less carbon in biosphere and more in atmosphere which triggers positive feedback and causes global warming and climate change and so on. i would also stress in my argument that climate change has significant influence on naturally occurring phenomenon. for example with climate change comes the increase of extreme weather so results in higher temps, drought which leads to desertification (this is simplistic overview but i'm sure you can find some notes to help you go into more detail). so all in all my main argument would be that i agree with this view to a significant extent as human induced climate change not only causes desertification directly but also enhances the impact of naturally occurring phenomena. i hope this helps also just out of interest where did you source this question from ?
Hi - thank you very much that's perfect and really helpful ! Think I understand the question a lot better now I think this is a past paper question but not entirely sure which year it came from
oliviaalexandera
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by annonymous2394)
Hi - thank you very much that's perfect and really helpful ! Think I understand the question a lot better now I think this is a past paper question but not entirely sure which year it came from
Hey no worries glad I could help !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (170)
44.16%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (43)
11.17%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (83)
21.56%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (36)
9.35%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.71%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed