The Student Room Group

How to handle horrible flatmate

Hi,

I am living with this guy that has just moved in about 3 months ago.

I am a final year student and I am currently doing my dissertation and working part time to support myself (including my rent and uni fees, as an international student it's difficult financially) and I am also looking for jobs at the same time so I have frequent interviews. I've told him all that and that I need silence till i'm done with my uni.

He's "respectful" of my requests so far and only brings friends and parties on saturdays. Which I completely understand. But the problem is that he is utterly useless at everything.

I've got the following issues with him:
1) Smokes weed about 4 times per day every day.
2) Asks for money because he goes to "shops that doesn't accept cards"
3) Asks me to pay for his mobile phone.
4) Does not have anything (no pots/pans, bathroom/toilet accessories) and brings in takeaways everysingle day.
5) Does not buy toilet paper.
6) Does not clean the toilet/ kitchen. He's left the takeaway box for an entire week there. I made a mistake of cleaning up his things once but not doing it anymore.
7) Uses my things and does not clean it. Leaves it there for me to clean it up. Once used my plates and left it there for a week and does not give my cups, spoons , tools until I explicitly ask for them.
Even then he asks "do you really need it?"
8) Used to wake me up at 2/3 AM to let him in because when he's high he forgets to take his keys with him when he goes outside. Which he stopped doing after I got annoyed and stared him down once. lol.

I don't understand why someone who has the money to buy weed to smoke 3 times a day and bring takeaways every single day needs to ask me for money and for dishes.
He apparently "forgets" to give my stuff back. He asked me to give me money again and but after I told him, I've got none, he's stopped. This hasn't stopped him talking loudly on his phone (which he was asking me for money), bringing takeaways and buying weed.

So far in the 3 months of him being with me he has not done anything but a druggie leech nuiscance.

I've taken everything back from him and hidden my plates, cups and toilet papers from him and will not give it back as he does not contribute to anything but making it dirty and "forgetting" about it.

No matter how much I talk to him, it's like talking to a baby, I have to explain everything as to why he shoud contribute to the chores, wash my things after using, cleaning up after himself and so on.

Do you think I should hide things because so far he seems to ask me for money even though he clearly can handle it himself and "forgets" to give my things back ? and just go on with it until my dissertation is done?
Reply 1
All part of the rich tapestry of student life, although he does seem annoying. You can try laying it on the line to him with a bit more force, no loans, no using your things, got to pay his way. But in reality managing your way though is likely to be the best strategy
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Chicken_Neck
Arsenic x

Wouldn't want to be convicted of "Attempted Murder". lol
Reply 3
Original post by Zarek
All part of the rich tapestry of student life, although gopher does seem annoying. You can try laying it on the line to him with a bit more force, no loans, no using your things, got to pay his way. But in reality managing your way though is likely to be the best strategy

i don't think talking to him is a good action to take. i'll have to explain every little thing to him as to why. For example, leaving things dirty is bad. and I will have to explain that flies and disease will come and this means additional unwanted expenses. I knew this when I had to explain that for his internet problem to be solved, he needs to call the internet service provider. instead he insisted on calling the security for some reason? idk maybe somking weed 4 times per day everyday isn't so good for logical thinking hmmm.. or he's a prince in his head.

Either way, I've also hidden the toilet paper now, he finishes a roll in a single week. -_- . and guess what, i have to buy the papers and cleaning supplies.

So yeah, i'm hiding everything and if he asks for it, i'll either tell him that it wasn't mine and the owner has taken it away or to buy those himself as I don't have money.
Reply 4
Original post by muttsang
i don't think talking to him is a good action to take. i'll have to explain every little thing to him as to why. For example, leaving things dirty is bad. and I will have to explain that flies and disease will come and this means additional unwanted expenses. I knew this when I had to explain that for his internet problem to be solved, he needs to call the internet service provider. instead he insisted on calling the security for some reason? idk maybe somking weed 4 times per day everyday isn't so good for logical thinking hmmm.. or he's a prince in his head.

Either way, I've also hidden the toilet paper now, he finishes a roll in a single week. -_- . and guess what, i have to buy the papers and cleaning supplies.

So yeah, i'm hiding everything and if he asks for it, i'll either tell him that it wasn't mine and the owner has taken it away or to buy those himself as I don't have money.

Shared house problems don’t tend to have a good solution. You’re dealing with it in the best way possible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending