The Student Room Group

Idiots who think grades below C are a fail

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Indeed all grades A*-G are passes. Some colleges/employers have specific requirements (commonly A*-C) but that doesn't mean that lower grades are 'fails'. That said, you should of course put a lot of effort into getting the best possible grades, because while nine G grades is still nine GCSEs, it won't get you very far in further education or employment.
Good bloke
If someone put anything lower than a GCSE C grade on their CV and it came across my desk I would bin it immediately as belonging to someone who was deluded.

I was talking to a guy who runs the sales department of a carpet store and he was saying how incredible it was the amount of people who either list "passes in GCSE Maths, English and Science" or just don't bother listing them at all out of embarrassment.

I think his best salesman flunked his GCSEs based on the evidence though so meh.

There are good reasons why people don't perform at GCSEs, but then there are crap reasons too. At the end of the day, due to all this grade inflation/exams getting easier malark, it's getting harder to impress with GCSE grades and easier to disappoint so it's still important to put the effort in.
Reply 42
Anything below a C is a fail. Maybe not "technically", but it is.
Reply 43
generalebriety
or they'd have accepted a cycling proficiency certificate too.

I failed mine :frown:
Reply 44
I don't include the D I got at AS level Maths because it's below a C and probably frowned upon in my career line (Finance). I never, ever include A Level General Studies at an E.
Quady
No U obviously doesnt stand for 'Fail'
it stands for unclassified which is a fail

Duh I knew that.
Reply 46
Also, wtf is a grade G? I'm sure that never existed in my day. Is that seriously a pass? Do you just have to turn up and spell your name properly to get that?
I hate when someone crys and gets really upset if they get say a B or even an A and not an A* grrrrr
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought at gcse if you sat a higher level paper, you can achieve grades A*-C and no lower, and lower grade than a C on that exam is a fail? And then intermediate is D-B and foundation F-C? At least I think thats what they told me in highschool? Whereas at a level you don't have tiers of entry, it's just one exam, thats why it's grades A-E?
Cherry Kisses
I hate when someone crys and gets really upset if they get say a B or even an A and not an A* grrrrr

All dependant on the person, if you were expecting/predicted all A8's i can understand it. I know some people who were never academic, and were pleased with D's and E's. Intelligence isnt only measured in qualifications. Some people (me included) just dont do well in exams etc (i got lucky with my A Levels) It doesn't mean that they are thick though. Just not booksmart.
Reply 50
Powersymphonia
Duh I knew that.

Why didn't you say it then...?
Reply 51
foundintransmission
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought at gcse if you sat a higher level paper, you can achieve grades A*-C and no lower, and lower grade than a C on that exam is a fail? And then intermediate is D-B and foundation F-C? At least I think thats what they told me in highschool? Whereas at a level you don't have tiers of entry, it's just one exam, thats why it's grades A-E?

If you score 0 on a higher tier paper you will get a U
same with A level papers

everything you say is right but so what?
Reply 52
Im not intelligent and at GCSE got B in English, Science, P.E and RE, a C in maths and history and the rest D's.
My A levels were bad I got C in psychology (but was predicted E lol), D in sports and an E in Biology. I did miss a lot of lessons cause of anxiety towards the end though.

Anyway my point is most people can get at least C's at GCSE despite their intelligence its just a matter of how much work you put in.
foundintransmission

It depends which exam board you're with. I sat the higher paper in physics, was supposed to fail if I got lower than a C, but I still ended up with a D. I took the wise decision to do three separate sciences and it worked. I think if I'd have done double science I'd have probably ended up with two Cs (or maybe even 2 Ds) instead of B in Biology, C in Chemistry and D in Physics.
Reply 54
foundintransmission

Maths used to have three tiers, but not anymore.

In many subjects, there are two different 'tiers' of examination offered:

* higher, where students can achieve grades A*–D
* foundation, where they can achieve grades C–G

If a candidate fails to obtain a G on the foundation tier or a D on the higher tier they will fail the course and receive a U (though there is a safety net allowing those who narrowly miss a D on the higher tier to receive an E).

In non-tiered subjects, the examination paper allows candidates to achieve any grade.

Technically an F or G is a 'pass', and a U is a 'fail'.
Reply 55
Considering how easy it is to pass a GCSE, (and by pass I mean above a C - how the **** can you call anything under that a pass?!), you have to be pretty ******* stupid to fail.
Quady
Why didn't you say it then...?

It's late
kjc_us
Considering how easy it is to pass a GCSE, (and by pass I mean above a C - how the **** can you call anything under that a pass?!), you have to be pretty ******* stupid to fail.

I am stupid :frown:
Reply 58
Most of the people I know who got 10 or 11 A*s at gcse ended up getting Cs at A level, proving gcses are in no way a marker of intelligence.
Reply 59
kjc_us

It might be easy for you, perhaps because you are good academicly? However think of something that you are not so good at.. if I called you stupid and useless because you can't achieve past a certain level you would be pretty insulted wouldn't you.

Quick Reply

Latest