loretakate
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is Leeds University or Birmingham University better for Law LLB?? I can’t make my mind up which one to firm and I wanted to hear everyone else’s input!!

Overall I am having the impression that Leeds is better as its top 10 for Law across the UK whilst Birmingham is 15th top- but different websites have very different and misleading viewpoints and I am really confused. Which is better in employability or likely to be preferred more over by top law firms? Especially I’m thinking US law firms or magic circle or silver?

I don’t mind going to whichever as I like the way both Universities are- but I want to make sure I go to the “better” one in respect.

Please and thank you in advance!!
Last edited by loretakate; 1 month ago
salviakasana03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by loretakate)
Is Leeds University or Birmingham University better for Law LLB?? I can’t make my mind up which one to firm and I wanted to hear everyone else’s input!!

Overall I am having the impression that Leeds is better as its top 10 for Law across the UK whilst Birmingham is 15th top- but different websites have very different and misleading viewpoints and I am really confused. Which is better in employability or likely to be preferred more over by top law firms? Especially I’m thinking US law firms or magic circle or silver?

I don’t mind going to whichever as I like the way both Universities are- but I want to make sure I go to the “better” one in respect.

I think Leeds is better for law cause it’s higher in the rankings plus I think it’s closer to the London scene. Also it’s considered the second law-Business center after london, and many firms have their regional/national offices there. If I don’t get into kings I’m firming Leeds.
kelseyypearce
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think Leeds is more respectable that so many people are applying now and so those who come from the uni are being considered 'better' than others, because of how difficult it is to get into !! x
Johnny ~
Badges: 15
Report 1 month ago

Doesn't matter. Literally makes zero difference for any of these firms. There are so many differences between the two that actually matter.

(Original post by kelseyypearce)
I think Leeds is more respectable that so many people are applying now and so those who come from the uni are being considered 'better' than others, because of how difficult it is to get into !! x
Leeds is not a particularly difficult university to get into. I've also never met anyone who thought of Leeds graduates as better than others, and I've spoken to my fair share of grad rec and partners. Where are you getting this from?
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by salviakasana03)
I think Leeds is better for law cause it’s higher in the rankings plus I think it’s closer to the London scene. Also it’s considered the second law-Business center after london, and many firms have their regional/national offices there. If I don’t get into kings I’m firming Leeds.
Would you mind providing a source for the claim that Leeds is the second biggest legal centre after London? There's a fair amount of competition for this position from Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, etc.

What do you mean by 'closer to the London scene'?
kelseyypearce
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Johnny ~)
Doesn't matter. Literally makes zero difference for any of these firms. There are so many differences between the two that actually matter.

Leeds is not a particularly difficult university to get into. I've also never met anyone who thought of Leeds graduates as better than others, and I've spoken to my fair share of grad rec and partners. Where are you getting this from?
The fact that the uni has the most applicants says a lot for itself! Also, its a Russel Group uni, with the closest links to London in terms of Law. Of course information about the 'best' university is subjective. But I also know that Birmingham are well known for lowering their offers too, again making them slightly less reputable.
blackforest786
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
leeds is better for law. it’s also a nice city. if i wasn’t going to nottingham i’d go there
salviakasana03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would you mind providing a source for the claim that Leeds is the second biggest legal centre after London? There's a fair amount of competition for this position from Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, etc.

Wait I read it in an article
I’ll try to find it
But it was in a newspaper thing.
salviakasana03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago

I think Manchester and Leeds are equivalent except Manchester does better on international rankings.
camapplicant530
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The fact that the uni has the most applicants says a lot for itself! Also, its a Russel Group uni, with the closest links to London in terms of Law. Of course information about the 'best' university is subjective. But I also know that Birmingham are well known for lowering their offers too, again making them slightly less reputable.
What is the application to offer ratio for Leeds?
Last edited by camapplicant530; 1 month ago
EU Yakov
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
how does this make Leeds special compared to literally any other RG tho. many RGs exaggerate offers.

what on earth are you lot talking about when you talk about "links to London". most Leeds students come from a variety of background and end up practising in the North, not in London. are you a Leeds student or sthing
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
Would you mind providing the source for the first sentence?

Both Birmingham and Leeds are Russell Group universities. What makes Leeds stand out?

In the past, Leeds has let in a considerable proportion of candidates that failed to meet their offer. Take a look at this FOI request: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1094507. It shows that around 30% of the Leeds LLB students who had applied between 2014 and 2017 had missed their offer by at least one grade (and were still let it and enrolled normally).

The crux of my question was whether anyone you know in the legal profession has these views of Leeds. It seems to me that you are just making up things and presenting your personal views as representative, when they're not.
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by camapplicant530)
Around 60% from what I recall, don't have any data to hand though. Might look for it if I have the energy later.

Wait I read it in an article
I’ll try to find it
But it was in a newspaper thing.
I was hoping for some actual data, not the opinion of a hack who saw a national firm open an office and remembered that Leeds exists.

I think Manchester and Leeds are equivalent except Manchester does better on international rankings.
This isn't what I asked. I was asking what you meant when you said 'closer to the London scene'. Were you referring to the raves?
salviakasana03
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Around 60% from what I recall, don't have any data to hand though. Might look for it if I have the energy later.

I was hoping for some actual data, not the opinion of a hack who saw a national firm open an office and remembered that Leeds exists.

This isn't what I asked. I was asking what you meant when you said 'closer to the London scene'. Were you referring to the raves?
yeah I meant it in a social sense with parties and stuff
I mean location wise Birmingham is closer to London so it’s probably easier to commute.
Johnny ~
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by camapplicant530)
I found it by chance: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...coming-1446132
In 2019, it was 56% for UK/EU applicants. Much higher for internationals - 74%.

You're actually right in part. The number of applications Leeds got from UK/EU applicants went up from 1600 in 2015 to 2500 in 2019.

The problem however is that the acceptances haven't gone up with it. Leeds peaked at 560 UK/EU acceptances in 2017 and then fell to 533 in 2018 and 375 in 2019. Registrations also fell, which may suggest that some applicants were 'accepting' their offer by putting Leeds down as their insurance, not their firm.

This data is obviously pre-COVID; I don't know how grade inflation has affected Leeds. I'm sure that many formerly Leeds-tier students have gotten grades that allow them to apply to better universities, but, equally, many students who weren't at Leeds' level may have gotten predictions that allow them to apply to universities like Leeds for the first time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.71%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.21%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
8.01%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.82%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.53%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.72%

Watched Threads