anyone can help me with electrolysis work

Watch this thread
HannahGuys
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hey guys was doing some electrolysis revision but never understood why one of the elements would go to the cathode and the other in the anode. if anyone know please do explain it to me both the aqueous electrolysis and the molten electrolysis.
katnix
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
In Molten electrolysis the negative ions ( the non-metal ions ) move to the anode and the positive ions the (metal ions ) move to the cathode. Btw the cathode is the negative electrode and anode is the positive electrode as you can see the opposite ions attract to the opposite electrode it’s like a magnet where’s + attracts to - is the similar here to. A better way to remember this is from an abbreviation called P.A.N.I.C which stands for Positive Anode Negative In Cathode. Also for Electrolysis of Aqueous solution is much more complicated is the same basically but just that if a metal is more reactive then hydrogen then hydrogen is produced instead of the metal but if the metal is less reactive then hydrogen then the metal is produced. So it’s best you learn the reactivity series for electrolysis and know which metal is more reactive then others. You also need to learn half equations for electrolysis if your are doing higher tier. I am not going to talk about half equations since I am unsure if your doing higher tier or not for chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (20)
31.75%
They're what I expected (19)
30.16%
They're worse than what I expected (24)
38.1%

Watched Threads