Urgent!! A level history question (Cold War / superpower relations)

Watch
medicnia20
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hi, I’m super lost on how to answer this question, so could anyone offer 2 points for and 2 against. Or just generally how you’d plan this question, or the markscheme if you can find it since i cant thank you!!

Name:  B7AB8777-1B5E-43E5-92FA-194AF3CF9F21.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  23.8 KB
Last edited by medicnia20; 2 months ago
James Readman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I did the Cold War in GCSE, but I can still remember bits of it.

I would structure it like this
Introduction-very short, just briefly explain what a peaceful co-existence would involve e.g. economic co operation, and what side you are on.

Then the four paragraphs with the content, if you want you can evaluate your points e.g. while their was evidence that the USSR and USA didn't seek conflict, they remained strongly ideologically opposed. You can also link your paragraphs together.

You could do 1. Peaceful 2. Non peaceful 3. Peaceful 4. Non peaceful.

Conclusion, come to a final judgement and directly answer the question e.g. the relationship between the USA and USSR between 1953 and 1961 was absolutely not one of peaceful coexistence (or vice versa). You could also bring in more information to back up your argument.

Some important points.
-Khrushchev came to power in the USSR by 1956, and in his secret speech he alluded to there not needing to be a global takeover of communism
-There were conferences between the super powers, some of these did improve relations e.g. Camp David 1959 'camp david spirit' -of cooperation. However others did not e.g. 1960 Paris summit (the U2 plane being shot down over the USSR)
-1959 Berlin Crisis- Khrushchev's 6 month ultimatum
- the Berlin wall
-continuation of the build up of arms e.g. USSR developed the first ICBM by 1957

Good luck and feel free to message me if I can help anymore!
medicnia20
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by James Readman)
I did the Cold War in GCSE, but I can still remember bits of it.

I would structure it like this
Introduction-very short, just briefly explain what a peaceful co-existence would involve e.g. economic co operation, and what side you are on.

Then the four paragraphs with the content, if you want you can evaluate your points e.g. while their was evidence that the USSR and USA didn't seek conflict, they remained strongly ideologically opposed. You can also link your paragraphs together.

You could do 1. Peaceful 2. Non peaceful 3. Peaceful 4. Non peaceful.

Conclusion, come to a final judgement and directly answer the question e.g. the relationship between the USA and USSR between 1953 and 1961 was absolutely not one of peaceful coexistence (or vice versa). You could also bring in more information to back up your argument.

Some important points.
-Khrushchev came to power in the USSR by 1956, and in his secret speech he alluded to there not needing to be a global takeover of communism
-There were conferences between the super powers, some of these did improve relations e.g. Camp David 1959 'camp david spirit' -of cooperation. However others did not e.g. 1960 Paris summit (the U2 plane being shot down over the USSR)
-1959 Berlin Crisis- Khrushchev's 6 month ultimatum
- the Berlin wall
-continuation of the build up of arms e.g. USSR developed the first ICBM by 1957

Good luck and feel free to message me if I can help anymore!
Thank you! Its great help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (15)
25.86%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (4)
6.9%
No I am happy with my choice (36)
62.07%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (3)
5.17%

Watched Threads