The Student Room Group

college becoming too overwhelming

i have only got essentially 4 days of lessons left at college followed by 2 exams one next week then another week after. im so stressed with it all which is of course normal but im feeling worse than usual. constant agitation, mood swings, no desire to do anything, lacking basic hygiene, changed eating habits, insomnia/hypersomnia, no motivation to get up and do normal things. i need help with understanding what this is please :/
this sounds like depression. i have it too. call your doctor, they will be able to help you
Might just be a fairly typical short term response to being under stress that will simply right itself naturally with the passage of time or change of setting.
Reply 3
ٰٰ
(edited 2 years ago)
Instead of pitying yourself, revise, shower, do your exams and then finish college. Sorted
Original post by Anonymous
Instead of pitying yourself, revise, shower, do your exams and then finish college. Sorted

it sounds like depression, take it from someone with experience with depression, its not about, being sad, or feeling sorry for yourself, its not being able to do anything, felling so down 24/7, felling not good enough, feeling suicidal. they cant just "carry on2 its not that simple
Original post by Levi-Jai
it sounds like depression, take it from someone with experience with depression, its not about, being sad, or feeling sorry for yourself, its not being able to do anything, felling so down 24/7, felling not good enough, feeling suicidal. they cant just "carry on2 its not that simple

That comment was pretty stupid and inappropriate but I disagree with diagnosing depression so easily. It's exams time for this person, which was always very rough and stressful even without covid stuff around. I'd say their response - although it's sad to hear they're feeling this way - is very natural, particularly if they've never experienced that much stress before. OP, I'd wait to see if you still feel that way after the exam period is over and covid restrictions ease off before you contact your doctor. In the meantime, if you're revising, give yourself a timetable that will be clear to you and will include breaks that help you get your mind off things. Don't eat too much sugar as the crashes can make you additionally miserable and unmotivated to get up to things. Please, please try to get out of the house to walk among nature and make it your goal to pet every cat you see - this stimulates oxytocin. Practice meditation which is an artform in itself that teaches you how to look at your worries in third person 3d and deal with them all. Physical relaxation of the body with breathing exercises will trick the brain into feeling the same, this is scientifically proven.

Also, talk to your friends about this, please. I don't mean a "trusted adult" or some bullshi^t like that that everyone says, i'm just sure that people around you your age will struggle with the same thing to smaller or bigger extent.

Depression is not the same as responding to stress, and there will be more occasions where you will need to learn how to deal with it. I feel like less people realise this nowadays but just saying every negative period of one's life is depression is very damaging.
Reply 7
Original post by Levi-Jai
this sounds like depression. i have it too. call your doctor, they will be able to help you

oh.. okay thank you
Reply 8

yeah i guess you're right.. sorry for troubling you :/
Reply 9
That comment was pretty stupid and inappropriate but I disagree with diagnosing depression so easily. It's exams time for this person, which was always very rough and stressful even without covid stuff around. I'd say their response - although it's sad to hear they're feeling this way - is very natural, particularly if they've never experienced that much stress before. OP, I'd wait to see if you still feel that way after the exam period is over and covid restrictions ease off before you contact your doctor. In the meantime, if you're revising, give yourself a timetable that will be clear to you and will include breaks that help you get your mind off things. Don't eat too much sugar as the crashes can make you additionally miserable and unmotivated to get up to things. Please, please try to get out of the house to walk among nature and make it your goal to pet every cat you see - this stimulates oxytocin. Practice meditation which is an artform in itself that teaches you how to look at your worries in third person 3d and deal with them all. Physical relaxation of the body with breathing exercises will trick the brain into feeling the same, this is scientifically proven.

Also, talk to your friends about this, please. I don't mean a "trusted adult" or some bullshi^t like that that everyone says, i'm just sure that people around you your age will struggle with the same thing to smaller or bigger extent.

Depression is not the same as responding to stress, and there will be more occasions where you will need to learn how to deal with it. I feel like less people realise this nowadays but just saying every negative period of one's life is depression is very damaging.

thank you, i will do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending