Which universities should I avoid if I can't walk up hills?

Watch
Maya.20
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I have a disability restricting my ability to walk, particularly finding it very difficult to walk up hills. I am currently unsure which university I want to go to, but would like to avoid universities on a hill (I have already ruled out Exeter for this reason) or in very hilly surrounding areas. It would be great if people could mention other universities they know of, or go to, that are like this (or alternatively mentioning universities in very flat areas would help too). Some universities I am specifically interested in are:

University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of York
Lancaster University
Durham University
University of Leeds
Loughborough University
University of Manchester
University of Leicester

However, since I want to study biology, I am open to hearing about almost any university, as I think it is quite a common subject found in most places. Any help would be great, and even just mentioning a name of a university would be much appreciated!
Fenner30
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Maya.20)
Hi, I have a disability restricting my ability to walk, particularly finding it very difficult to walk up hills. I am currently unsure which university I want to go to, but would like to avoid universities on a hill (I have already ruled out Exeter for this reason) or in very hilly surrounding areas. It would be great if people could mention other universities they know of, or go to, that are like this (or alternatively mentioning universities in very flat areas would help too). Some universities I am specifically interested in are:

University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham
University of Sheffield
University of York
Lancaster University
Durham University
University of Leeds
Loughborough University
University of Manchester
University of Leicester

However, since I want to study biology, I am open to hearing about almost any university, as I think it is quite a common subject found in most places. Any help would be great, and even just mentioning a name of a university would be much appreciated!
Avoid Durham
sy!¡
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Liverpool is fine

you might struggle at york
Last edited by sy!¡; 1 week ago
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham
University of Sheffield
University of York
Lancaster University
Durham University
University of Leeds
Loughborough University
University of Manchester
University of Leicester

Avoid Nottingham
Kerzen
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowance-dsa
Foodlover2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham
University of Sheffield
University of York
Lancaster University
Durham University
University of Leeds
Loughborough University
University of Manchester
University of Leicester

Leicester is the best choice, it has lots of low level grounds and ramps to every building. I would know because i went there for an opening really nice and friendly people and the town is close by
Maya.20
Rep:
?
(Original post by sy!¡)
Liverpool is fine

you might struggle at york
What is it about York specifically, is it the campus that is hilly or just the city of York itself?
Maya.20
Rep:
?
(Original post by Foodlover2)
Leicester is the best choice, it has lots of low level grounds and ramps to every building. I would know because i went there for an opening really nice and friendly people and the town is close
Ah okay, that sounds ideal, thanks for the help!
Maya.20
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Avoid Nottingham
Would you say the campuses themselves are the problem, or more the surrounding area?
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Would you say the campuses themselves are the problem, or more the surrounding area?
The campuses are very large and their are several hills on university park
Nautilus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Leeds, Newcastle and Sheffield have gradual hills round where the universities are. Sheffield is built on seven hills, but they are in the outskirts.
princessmaire80
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As someone with a disability who went to Nottingham Uni (although my mobility was a lot better then than it is now) I speak from bitter experience when I say most of the main campus consists of big hills!
Newcastle has quite a lot of steps up into the campus but there are ways round it, there are some parts of the campus that are on quite an incline, especially the ones near the hospital.
Loughborough is okay, from what I remember it’s not on a big hill and the surrounding area is flat. I found it quite easy to get around when I’ve been there to watch sports matches and things. (I live quite nearby)
I think the problem with York is more the city itself. It’s quite old and there’s lots of cobbled streets and the pavements are harsh on your feet. Same with Durham- it’s a very historical city and yes there’s a fair few hills there!
If you struggle to walk Leicester Uni is quite a walk into the city. There are however buses that run nearby that will take you into the city. I had some tutorials there for my Open University degree and I actually found it quite difficult to get around.
Nautilus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by princessmaire80)
Newcastle has quite a lot of steps up into the campus but there are ways round it, there are some parts of the campus that are on quite an incline, especially the ones near the hospital.
I think it depends on the subject you are studying and where you live. For example if you are studying anything related to medicine, you will be based at the medical school. When applying for accommodation you can specify that you have a disability and the university will prioritise accommodation at Park View, which is right next to the medical school.
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Came here to say that Bristol is hilly as heck but it doesn’t look like you were considering it so it’s all good
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

University of Liverpool
Newcastle University
University of Nottingham
University of Sheffield
University of York
Lancaster University
Durham University
University of Leeds
Loughborough University
University of Manchester
University of Leicester

i would say all of them except London tbh. for instance Loughborough is nice and flat, but there will still be a good walk from campus to town that must surely be difficult even if it's not hilly, and there will be lots of steps and mini hills everywhere
Kerzen
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maya

What about UCL, King's or QMUL?

https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-st...-sciences-bsc/

The nearest tube station to UCL has a lift, by the way.

https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate.../2020/biology/
Last edited by Kerzen; 1 week ago
Nautilus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The campus at Warwick is flat
Maya.20
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
The campuses are very large and their are several hills on university park
Ah okay, thank you.
Maya.20
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nautilus)
Leeds, Newcastle and Sheffield have gradual hills round where the universities are. Sheffield is built on seven hills, but they are in the outskirts.
Thanks!
Jessilover98
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cardiff uni is great! You should definitely try Cardiff. The campus isn’t too far from the accommodations and the city centre. You could find decent accommodations near the medical school which are close by to the city centre, the park and lidl as well! x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should 'Mental health support' be included on league tables?

Yes (117)
70.91%
No (48)
29.09%

Watched Threads