dealing with social media shame

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
i did something really embarrassing and everyone found out - my friends, immediate family, extended family, ppl from uni, my 'mentors' etc. - and i've never felt so publicly shamed and exposed. it's all over social media. i really don't know how to recover from this. i keep getting phone calls from people over and over again asking what happened. i don't want to talk about it. i want to laugh about it and move on but i have to inform people of what i did for damage control.

when i was a kid i had undiagnosed health issues so i used to faint and be sick a lot in front of my classmates and teachers. then i got bullied bc of it and people would make fake accounts under my name and troll others. it took me so long to get over it, to forgive myself and to be at peace. and now its just a reminder that i take one step forward and two steps back. every time i try not to be embarrassing or awkward i end up being more freaky and unlikable than ever. i just can't be normal or fit in.

i don't want to leave my room or my house. i want to forget anything ever happened. i actually want to move country and change my name. i know bad things happen and i'm overreacting. i'm scared to confront what happened. i'm thinking of deleting all my social media but generally speaking how do i move on from this?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i did something really embarrassing and everyone found out - my friends, immediate family, extended family, ppl from uni, my 'mentors' etc. - and i've never felt so publicly shamed and exposed. it's all over social media. i really don't know how to recover from this. i keep getting phone calls from people over and over again asking what happened. i don't want to talk about it. i want to laugh about it and move on but i have to inform people of what i did for damage control.

when i was a kid i had undiagnosed health issues so i used to faint and be sick a lot in front of my classmates and teachers. then i got bullied bc of it and people would make fake accounts under my name and troll others. it took me so long to get over it, to forgive myself and to be at peace. and now its just a reminder that i take one step forward and two steps back. every time i try not to be embarrassing or awkward i end up being more freaky and unlikable than ever. i just can't be normal or fit in.

i don't want to leave my room or my house. i want to forget anything ever happened. i actually want to move country and change my name. i know bad things happen and i'm overreacting. i'm scared to confront what happened. i'm thinking of deleting all my social media but generally speaking how do i move on from this?
Wait I'm confused what did you do that was so bad? From what I just read you didn't do anything embarrassing
Anonymous #1
Wait I'm confused what did you do that was so bad? From what I just read you didn't do anything embarrassing
I don't want to say because it was so embarrassing I just want to know how to deal with it. all my cousins back in my home country know about it. legit everyone. I feel so exposed. I don't know how to get through it
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I don't want to say because it was so embarrassing I just want to know how to deal with it. all my cousins back in my home country know about it. legit everyone. I feel so exposed. I don't know how to get through it
Talking it out is always the best way for me. It may be hard to begin with and seem like its not going to go away but, eventually people forget and will start talking about the next thing.

If you have people to confide in then letting all of your feelings out is like a release that will take some of the weight off your shoulders.
Anonymous #1
Talking it out is always the best way for me. It may be hard to begin with and seem like its not going to go away but, eventually people forget and will start talking about the next thing.

If you have people to confide in then letting all of your feelings out is like a release that will take some of the weight off your shoulders.
tysm xx I will do that. talking through it will hopefully make it easier and eventually people will move on
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Whatever it was, people will eventually forget and move on. You will get through this even if it feels like the end of the world right now - give it time.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by black tea)
Whatever it was, people will eventually forget and move on. You will get through this even if it feels like the end of the world right now - give it time.
ty I hope so. I really don't like being the center of the attention.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (192)
43.74%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.39%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.97%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.73%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.48%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.69%

Watched Threads