The Student Room Group

Chemistry mcqs

CAN SOMEONE HELP ME ANSWER THIS QUESTION AND EXPLAIN ?

which of the following cannot disproportionate ?
A Cl2
B BrO-
C SO3^-2
D NO3^-
A: Yes
B: Yes
C: Yes
D: No
A disproportionation reaction is where the same element undergoes oxidation and reduction in the same reaction. Using this we can very easily come to the answer by finding the oxidation states of each of the elements in the compounds.
In A the oxidation state is 0 as it is elemental chlorine, the oxidation number can exceed 0 and be oxidized to a +1 charge such as NaClO or reduced to a -1 charge such as NaCl.
In B the oxidation number of the bromine is +1, the species can be reduced to 0 as it is in its elemental form or oxidized to +3 in BrO^2-.
In C the sulphur has an oxidation state of +4, the species can be reduced to -2 in H2S or oxidized to +6 in H2SO4.
However, in D the Nitrogen has an oxidation state of +5, this cannot be oxidized any further so the NO3- compound cannot undergo both reduction and oxidation in the same reaction.
Hence the answer is D. This is a very tough question for 1 mark especially with the amount of thinking going into it but I hope this helps. :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by georgecoomes
A: Yes
B: Yes
C: Yes
D: No
A disproportionation reaction is where the same element undergoes oxidation and reduction in the same reaction. Using this we can very easily come to the answer by finding the oxidation states of each of the elements in the compounds.
In A the oxidation state is 0 as it is elemental chlorine, the oxidation number can exceed 0 and be oxidized to a +1 charge such as NaClO or reduced to a -1 charge such as NaCl.
In B the oxidation number of the bromine is +1, the species can be reduced to 0 as it is in its elemental form or oxidized to +3 in BrO^2-.
In C the sulphur has an oxidation state of +4, the species can be reduced to -2 in H2S or oxidized to +6 in H2SO4.
However, in D the Nitrogen has an oxidation state of +5, this cannot be oxidized any further so the NO3- compound cannot undergo both reduction and oxidation in the same reaction.
Hence the answer is D. This is a very tough question for 1 mark especially with the amount of thinking going into it but I hope this helps. :smile:

this helped a lot , i appreciate you taking out the time to answer this, thankyouuuu sooo muchhhh

Quick Reply

Latest