The Student Room Group

The Handmaids Tale HELP!!!

Guys, I need some quick points on the significance of men in the novel 'The Handmaid's Tale'
Some quotations and light analysis would also be highly appreciated!!!
Reply 1
Original post by itz_saf03
Guys, I need some quick points on the significance of men in the novel 'The Handmaid's Tale'
Some quotations and light analysis would also be highly appreciated!!!

Men in the Handmaids tale
An interesting thing to point out would be that men are also oppressed in the society of Gilead although not as much as women the society still has negative implications on them such as with the commander although he wanted Gilead he realises that its not great 'Better never means better for everyone, he says. It always means worse, for some.'

Also in HMT it is presumed that it is the women who are infertile but the mens fertility is never questioned this could be cool to talk about how the men are seen as the 'saviours' even though they may also be part of the problem. Gilead uses religion as a facade and so it 'blames' the sins of others (mostly women) for the infertility crisis when in fact it was mostly men in power etc. There is no such thing as a sterile man anymore, not officially. There are only women who are fruitful and women who are barren, that’s the law- Doctor to offred (this scene is important the man has power over Offreds entire life)

For context you could talk about how Ronald Reagan was president at the time of Atwood writing HMT and he believed in traditional values and anti abortion acts you could possible relate this to modern day society and its relevance.

In handmaids tale the women are defined by their fertility talk about the symbol of red (fertility and shame) also symbolism of the eye The eye: Always being watched. eyes are the secret enforces also of offred's room is where the previous handmaid hung herself so the blinded eye represents freedom so are the handmaids more free in comparison to other women in their society because like all other handmaids she is blinded to all the truths in Gilead and like her we, the reader have limited vision to the society much like the collar on the handmaids (i'm not sure if that made sense lmk if you want me to expand)

Structure--> TALK ABOUT HISTORICAL NOTES. Offreds story ends uo being told and edited by a man. Jokes are made which allows us to believe that Gilead could happen again.

Important quotes regarding gender

The spectacles women used to make of themselves. Oiling themselves like roast meat on a spit, and bare backs and shoulders, on the street, in public, and legs, not even stockings on them, no wonder these things used to happen.- Aunt Lydia

But whose fault was it? Aunt Helena says, holding up one plump finger. Her fault, her fault, her fault, we chant in unison. Who led them on? Aunt Helena beams, pleased with us. She did. She did. She did. Why did God allow such a terrible thing to happen? Teach her a lesson. Teach her a lesson. Teach her a lesson.

He doesn’t mind this, I thought. He doesn’t mind it at all. Maybe he even likes it. We are not each other’s, anymore. Instead, I am his.

Waste not want not. I am not being wasted. Why do I want?

I try not to think too much. Like other things now, thought must be rationed.

I enjoy the power; power of a dog bone, passive but there.

Two legged womb

I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending