Sophia7777
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I wanted to know what the typical midwifery timetable looks like,as in, how many weeks for end of term/half term and when they occur. I don't mind if you just post what your uni does,but I just want to get a rough idea. I'm really not sure why Midwifery students are so secretive about their term dates .
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sophia7777)
I wanted to know what the typical midwifery timetable looks like,as in, how many weeks for end of term/half term and when they occur. I don't mind if you just post what your uni does,but I just want to get a rough idea. I'm really not sure why Midwifery students are so secretive about their term dates .
Hi Sophia x

I am qualified registered midwife with NHS Scotland as I qualified in summer 2019 so I will give timetable of placements & at university for university here ok as you not said where you planning to goto for this.

So I did blocks of approx 7 weeks at university and same at placements.
The course is split roughly into a 50/50 of both university and on placements.

So your holidays will be at end of each term for example - you'll get 2 weeks of at Xmas/ New Year, same at easter although you'll finish probably week after easter starts for college & schools, then you'll get approx 10 days at end of the academic year which for here is late August prior in starting new academic year in September.
You'll get also reading weeks of as well plus time of for exams time.
You do 3 semesters/trimesters at university unlike majority of students only doing 2 okay.

You are not allowed any time of during the academic year unless it is an immediate close family bereavement okay.

Anytime you take of during placements must be made up in your own time by the end of the academic year which you arrange with your course leader as if not could stop you going into second year.

Now for secretive on holidays for students midwives there isn't any I'm afraid because all the nursing courses has same dates etc of for holidays.

These dates etc are probably similar to universities in England but best thing to do is to go online to your chosen university and look up the term dates for each year as it will give you idea of what you will be doing.

Your actual course timetable will be given to you once you start the course.

Hope this helps ok
Sophia7777
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Hi Sophia x

I am qualified registered midwife with NHS Scotland as I qualified in summer 2019 so I will give timetable of placements & at university for university here ok as you not said where you planning to goto for this.

So I did blocks of approx 7 weeks at university and same at placements.
The course is split roughly into a 50/50 of both university and on placements.

So your holidays will be at end of each term for example - you'll get 2 weeks of at Xmas/ New Year, same at easter although you'll finish probably week after easter starts for college & schools, then you'll get approx 10 days at end of the academic year which for here is late August prior in starting new academic year in September.
You'll get also reading weeks of as well plus time of for exams time.
You do 3 semesters/trimesters at university unlike majority of students only doing 2 okay.

You are not allowed any time of during the academic year unless it is an immediate close family bereavement okay.

Anytime you take of during placements must be made up in your own time by the end of the academic year which you arrange with your course leader as if not could stop you going into second year.

Now for secretive on holidays for students midwives there isn't any I'm afraid because all the nursing courses has same dates etc of for holidays.

These dates etc are probably similar to universities in England but best thing to do is to go online to your chosen university and look up the term dates for each year as it will give you idea of what you will be doing.

Your actual course timetable will be given to you once you start the course.

Hope this helps ok
Thank you SO much,I really appreciate this!
Tracey_W
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Sophia7777)
Thank you SO much,I really appreciate this!
Hi
You are welcome ok as hope it helps you plus it will give you a rough guideline on terms at university & on any placement. It may be slightly different for English universities reason why said look up your chosen university and look at the term dates. X
HappyBunny'93
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
So Nursing degree timetables are basically the same as midwifery, so you can look at those too.

When i did my nursing, mine was basically the same as above.

Our cohort were split into 3 different groups. and we all went on placement and did uni at different times.
#So for example group 1 would be on placement for weeks 1-7, group 2 would do 7-14 and group 3 would do 14-21.

Our holidays were not the same either, so i would have two weeks off around easter, but easter didn't fall in my time off. I was actually off almost 3 weeks before easter and the 3rd group were off for easter.

It not that we are secretive, but they are all so different. Basically the only time i got off the same as schools or my even my cohort, was the time off at christmas.
Sophia7777
Rep:
?
(Original post by HappyBunny'93)
So Nursing degree timetables are basically the same as midwifery, so you can look at those too.

When i did my nursing, mine was basically the same as above.

Our cohort were split into 3 different groups. and we all went on placement and did uni at different times.
#So for example group 1 would be on placement for weeks 1-7, group 2 would do 7-14 and group 3 would do 14-21.

Our holidays were not the same either, so i would have two weeks off around easter, but easter didn't fall in my time off. I was actually off almost 3 weeks before easter and the 3rd group were off for easter.

It not that we are secretive, but they are all so different. Basically the only time i got off the same as schools or my even my cohort, was the time off at christmas.
Thanks for clarifying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (152)
43.68%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.49%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.05%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (74)
21.26%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.77%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.75%

Watched Threads