Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 21 minutes ago
Hi there,

I'm in a bit of a panic mode at the moment. I'm currently in the second year of my Uni degree, and we've got our results back for the 6-7 assignments we did.

I passed them all, average at 40-50% on most. I panic becauase my friends are getting 80%+, and no matter how hard I try, i'm often left with referals or low %s. Usually my friends will mock it a bit, laugh and say things like ''Enjoy McDonalds' to mess with me, but I feel as though I have no chance of getting a job compared to them, and that i've gone in debt for a degree I can barely handle

I really do enjoy my degree and try my best, but I don't know, it's really off putting with 1 year left knowing i'm behind everyone. Anyone else know how I can get a better mindset for this situation? Thanks!
TheGreenWood85
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 17 minutes ago
Ok does your university offer study support or study skills? Attending learner development on top of my lectures really helped. What course are you studying? What does your feedback say? - This is the key
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 15 minutes ago
(Original post by TheGreenWood85)
Ok does your university offer study support or study skills? Attending learner development on top of my lectures really helped. What course are you studying? What does your feedback say? - This is the key
I'm not sure if they offer this, I will look into it. I study Programming. The feedback is usually much more negative on the written over the practical. I'm good at the practical work (Coding etc), but on the theory and written side (Referencing, Research Papers, Essays) I lack heavily. I'm not very good at writing as a whole
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 minutes ago
As above, you really need to look at the feedback and identify any trends and find out how to resolve those issues. It will also depend somewhat on the nature of those assignments (e.g. essays vs problem sets vs lab reports). Look through the feedback, also arrange a meeting with your personal tutor/academic advisor/director of studies/whatever to discuss how you might be able to improve, based on the feedback you've gotten.

Also did you only receive feedback for all your assignments together now, at the end of the year? Did you have no feedback earlier in the year, from formative assessments perhaps? It seems unusual to not have any idea of how you are progressing until the end of the academic year, and that is something you might need to highlight with your personal tutor/etc when you speak with them if it was due to work being returned late.
TheGreenWood85
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 minutes ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm not sure if they offer this, I will look into it. I study Programming. The feedback is usually much more negative on the written over the practical. I'm good at the practical work (Coding etc), but on the theory and written side (Referencing, Research Papers, Essays) I lack heavily. I'm not very good at writing as a whole
Ok please look for the study skills, what uni is it if you dont mind me asking? Most unis will offer this. You should have a student support officer for your course and an assigned librarian too - well hopefully. If you have a read through your course hand book usually given out at the start of the yr it will list all relevant info. Dont worry you can get a handle on this - book in with a tutor or head of dept and say you need academic support for writing and they will point you in the right direction. If they dont then go to the student union, they should have advice on academic support. Oh and your friends are being incredibly rude, you dont need that type of negativity.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 minute ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above, you really need to look at the feedback and identify any trends and find out how to resolve those issues. It will also depend somewhat on the nature of those assignments (e.g. essays vs problem sets vs lab reports). Look through the feedback, also arrange a meeting with your personal tutor/academic advisor/director of studies/whatever to discuss how you might be able to improve, based on the feedback you've gotten.

Also did you only receive feedback for all your assignments together now, at the end of the year? Did you have no feedback earlier in the year, from formative assessments perhaps? It seems unusual to not have any idea of how you are progressing until the end of the academic year, and that is something you might need to highlight with your personal tutor/etc when you speak with them if it was due to work being returned late.
The assignment was recieved all together yes, we were allowed to submit a draft for the essay, and I worked off the feedback recieved and did everything suggested by the tutor, only to be told it was worse than my first draft which kind of sucks.

I will talk to the tutor to see what they say, appreciate your feedback
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 minute ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The assignment was recieved all together yes, we were allowed to submit a draft for the essay, and I worked off the feedback recieved and did everything suggested by the tutor, only to be told it was worse than my first draft which kind of sucks.

I will talk to the tutor to see what they say, appreciate your feedback
UWE Bristol + Thanks for the feedback I appreciate it a lot
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (82)
14.16%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (68)
11.74%
Changed course offer (28)
4.84%
Clearing (39)
6.74%
Conditional offer (5)
0.86%
Deferral (25)
4.32%
Ucas Extra (67)
11.57%
First Generation or First in Family (18)
3.11%
Point of Entry (43)
7.43%
Self-release (87)
15.03%
Tariff Point (45)
7.77%
Unconditional offer (5)
0.86%
Withdrawal (16)
2.76%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (49)
8.46%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (2)
0.35%

Watched Threads