Please try alternatives to Amazon

Watch
Fullofsurprises
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
Amazon had sales of £44bn in Europe during 2020 and paid not one penny in tax.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...tax-luxembourg

They are tax farming, avoiding all of the tax responsibilities that fall on other companies and completely evading their duty to pay for the services they use - roads. railways, ports, electricity, gas, healthcare for their workers - none of these mean a thing to them.

They are the vultures of modern parasitic capitalism.

Let's try very, very hard not to use them. I'm giving up Amazon Prime and I'm looking everywhere but Amazon when I go online.

I also avoid Wholefoods Market, which they took over (and it's a lot less good since they did) and Morrisons with whom they have done a deal.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
General rule of thumb: avoid patronising socio-possibly-psycho-paths.

Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ascend)
General rule of thumb: avoid patronising socio-possibly-psycho-paths.

:teehee:

Jobs was probably the least obnoxious of that bunch, but he was still pretty out there on the ruthless scale. Bezos I can get, because he's not really pretending to be anything much other than a grasping but clever businessman and operator - what I hate about him though is that even now he's insanely rich, he is still determined to do everything he can to trample on his workforce and to pay no taxes. The worst of the plutocrats in previous years generally did better. Zuckerberg scores better on employee treatment, but he treats site users as peons to be shipped to the highest bidder, irrespective of their real wishes. Musk is a plain old five star ******* with few redeeming qualities, he isn't even the great genius he thinks he is.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
henceforward i shall buy all my online requirements from www.fosinternational.io

all orders are guaranteed to be fulfilled by anti-monarchist vegan atheists.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by the bear)
henceforward i shall buy all my online requirements from www.fosinternational.io

all orders are guaranteed to be fulfilled by anti-monarchist vegan atheists.
Hee hee, I like this idea. It's going to be great. :yep:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
The Guardian guide to non-Amazon online shopping.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...e-retail-titan
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
Hee hee, I like this idea. It's going to be great. :yep:
Name:  adasitmane.png
Views: 8
Size:  348.7 KB
the beer
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The Guardian guide to non-Amazon online shopping.
https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...e-retail-titan
lol
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I try to buy as much as I can from shops in the local highstreet. When I shop for things online I usually avoid Amazon, although sadly sometimes there is no choice but to use them. 😡
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Amazon is great. :adore:
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Amazon is great. :adore:
They're also pretty great at not paying their taxes. :sad:
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
They're also pretty great at not paying their taxes. :sad:
:hand:
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
What's a little tax avoidance between friends? I would have to spend a year in the Priory to cure my addiction to Amazon
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
What's a little tax avoidance between friends? I would have to spend a year in the Priory to cure my addiction to Amazon
One step at a time. Try detoxing by, I don't know, browsing Wikipedia.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Works for me, Amazon doesnt really operate in NZ :lol:
That being said, i would say this is more a damning political issue than one for the company who are within their rights to avoid tax if legally possible. This more comes down to craven cowardice on the part of politcians for not changing the tax codes for fear of being spanked by the tosspots in Washington. Just look at how they ran with their tail between their legs from the possible taxes on big tech firms (amazon included i believe).
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I mean, when I'm in China I never use it anyway - it really doesn't have any presence here..

Back in the UK though its just hard not to. I ordered my mum two presents for mothersday, one from amazon one from a smaller website. The Amazon one arrived perfectly with great communication throughout. The smaller one arrived 3 days after mothers day with poor communication.

I do think something needs to be done about Amazon, and all the big tech giants, but I don't think individual boycotts will make a difference at all.. Goverments need to take action on this.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by fallen_acorns)
I mean, when I'm in China I never use it anyway - it really doesn't have any presence here..

Back in the UK though its just hard not to. I ordered my mum two presents for mothersday, one from amazon one from a smaller website. The Amazon one arrived perfectly with great communication throughout. The smaller one arrived 3 days after mothers day with poor communication.

I do think something needs to be done about Amazon, and all the big tech giants, but I don't think individual boycotts will make a difference at all.. Goverments need to take action on this.
Governments around the world have been purchased by these giant monopolies. It's amazing when you look into it how many top political families have had job offers from them, have top executives married to politicians, or just making threats to leave countries if they don't get their way. I'm not saying it's not a matter for government - but they also take advantage of their massive globalism to defeat each and every local attempt to impose a tax regime and they manipulate international efforts to co-ordinate one between countries.

So yes, it's not only citizens, but the time has come to make our voices heard and demand change. This isn't a trivial thing. The digital monopolies are taking demand out of the system all the time, they are crushing smaller entrepreneurs (who in normal times employ millions and create a fairer society) and they are constantly crushing rivals who innovate. The loss of taxes has a huge impact on our general way of life and pushes the cost of public infrastructure more and more onto ordinary wage earners.
Starship Trooper
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I agree Op and this is one of the few areas that should be a bipartisan issue. Jeff Bezos owns the Washington Post too.

Name:  Screenshot_2021-05-05-08-57-27-55.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  149.0 KB

But it's not the only corporation we should t give money to, pic related. Stop giving to ultra progressive corporations
fallen_acorns
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Governments around the world have been purchased by these giant monopolies. It's amazing when you look into it how many top political families have had job offers from them, have top executives married to politicians, or just making threats to leave countries if they don't get their way. I'm not saying it's not a matter for government - but they also take advantage of their massive globalism to defeat each and every local attempt to impose a tax regime and they manipulate international efforts to co-ordinate one between countries.

So yes, it's not only citizens, but the time has come to make our voices heard and demand change. This isn't a trivial thing. The digital monopolies are taking demand out of the system all the time, they are crushing smaller entrepreneurs (who in normal times employ millions and create a fairer society) and they are constantly crushing rivals who innovate. The loss of taxes has a huge impact on our general way of life and pushes the cost of public infrastructure more and more onto ordinary wage earners.
I agree, and I'm a bit optimistic that this issue will be tackled eventually. It's just such a new industry comparatively, and the sheer wealth and power involved makes change hard. But I think we can see the beginning of it. Governments know the problem now - yes your right they often have conflicting agendas and reasons to ignore it - but then as long as the public will is there, other politicians will see it as an opportunity.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I’ll stick with Amazon thanks.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (84)
36.05%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (37)
15.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (10)
4.29%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (24)
10.3%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (28)
12.02%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (28)
12.02%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (22)
9.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed