Would it be worth trying to get an apprenticeship? (Finishing Uni)

Watch
mwhitenc4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 hour ago
I'm 21 and finishing Uni within the next couple of months and I have no interest in pursuing it further. I've been studying Game Design and don't believe it'd be worth pursuing a career in it, I don't find what I've done so far to be particularly enjoyable, or the potential salary worthwhile.

I have however been looking into Web Development which I believe would be a much better fit for me. Though I'm currently not in any position to be sending out job applications I was wondering if it'd be worth trying to find an apprenticeship at Level 3/4 to gain experience, or would I just be shrugged off because of my degree?
Last edited by mwhitenc4; 1 hour ago
k1tsun3
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 52 minutes ago
I think you could struggle to get onto an apprenticeship because of your degree. How much programming did you do as part of your degree? If there is too much overlap, you won't qualify for the government funding. However, you could look into graduate software developer programmes. Many will take on applicants from a cognate discipline. However, many of these are now closed or will be closing soon. Most are in the middles of the interview process for Sept/Oct 2021 starts. Not all are open to everyone, but there are some out there.

BBC applications are still open, but they are closing in a few days: https://careerssearch.bbc.co.uk/jobs...e-Scheme/52895

Just be aware of places like Sparta Global, Gracye and FGM. These are viable options, but the pay will be below market value and they'll make a lot off of you. That said, if you are flexible to move about and want a foot in the door then they could be good options. They are consultancy firms who provide a coding bootcamp where you'll typically learn either Java or C# because that's what their clients need. Work will vary but when I interviewed with Sparta the role was Java based and as a Software Engineer in Test. I turned it down because I didn't have the flexibility with a little one. If you can commit to 2 years (massive buyout if you leave before that time), then it's a foot in the door. But I would look for proper graduate programmes as the first port of call.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What uni admissions terms did you/do you find confusing?

Adjustment (86)
13.74%
AAM (Additional Assessment Materials) (74)
11.82%
Changed course offer (30)
4.79%
Clearing (42)
6.71%
Conditional offer (8)
1.28%
Deferral (26)
4.15%
Ucas Extra (73)
11.66%
First Generation or First in Family (21)
3.35%
Point of Entry (44)
7.03%
Self-release (91)
14.54%
Tariff Point (51)
8.15%
Unconditional offer (7)
1.12%
Withdrawal (17)
2.72%
I understood all of the language used in the application process (53)
8.47%
I found another term confusing (let us know in the thread!) (3)
0.48%

Watched Threads