Figuring out your career -replies wanted please

Watch
loisb45
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m nearly 21 and still have no idea what I want to do? I have tried reading up on careers and finding my likes but I end up hitting a dead end. Any sites or advise on how to find out or get some vague idea?

I’m currently a gp receptionist and got into it after a business admin apprenticeship being doing it for 3 years. I have a levels history and English and sociology all grade b. I’m into politics and thought Mabye working for council or journalism. Please can you give me some advice on how to find out what career I want to do?
AlefMemYod
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ignoring specific roles for the moment, what do you think you'd want from your career (maybe what do you enjoy in your current role)? E.g. customer-facing, leadership, desk job or not. Or another way of looking at it, what skills do you want to learn in your job?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
try a career quiz online
consider your skills
loisb45
Rep:
?
(Original post by AlefMemYod)
Ignoring specific roles for the moment, what do you think you'd want from your career (maybe what do you enjoy in your current role)? E.g. customer-facing, leadership, desk job or not. Or another way of looking at it, what skills do you want to learn in your job?
I enjoy helping people but I like the admin sides of things? I was thinking working in some role in the council or along them lines I know that’s vague but like helping the community I know that sounds vague?
loisb45
Rep:
?
(Original post by tinygirl96)
try a career quiz online
consider your skills
I’ve done number of quizzes and I never find any jobs I like or interested in.
AlefMemYod
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by loisb45)
I’ve done number of quizzes and I never find any jobs I like or interested in.
Yeah they don't tend to be great
AlefMemYod
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I enjoy helping people but I like the admin sides of things? I was thinking working in some role in the council or along them lines I know that’s vague but like helping the community I know that sounds vague?
Have you considered project management? General management? HR? Any of those involve both supporting others and admin, and local councils employ all of them. Those are just the roles that come to mind for me, I'm sure there are many more. Maybe check out your local council website to see if it lists people and their roles, or any vacancies for an idea of the job roles available in that area?
loisb45
Rep:
?
Have you considered project management? General management? HR? Any of those involve both supporting others and admin, and local councils employ all of them. Those are just the roles that come to mind for me, I'm sure there are many more. Maybe check out your local council website to see if it lists people and their roles, or any vacancies for an idea of the job roles available in that area?
I thought about counseling or psychology but I don’t know. I was thinking mainly journalism but that is hard to get into? A role I come across in council is community development which has interested me but I may need a degree and role are varied. Or is it best to find a jobs in the council and see where it takes me?
AlefMemYod
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I thought about counseling or psychology but I don’t know. I was thinking mainly journalism but that is hard to get into? A role I come across in council is community development which has interested me but I may need a degree and role are varied. Or is it best to find a jobs in the council and see where it takes me?
I've heard that with journalism you've got to get experience under your belt before you can make it your career - e.g. start your own blog, volunteer for a local paper, etc. If you're really not sure about things volunteering might also be a good way of working out what you enjoy, and can be very rewarding if you like to help others, as it sounds like you do. For instance, with an interest in community development you could look into volunteering with charities that work with marginalised groups - e.g. refugees, the elderly, the homeless. If you have a religion, interfaith activities are a great example of community development. Alternatively, work experience/internships if you can get them, though if you work full time they might be harder to do.
AlefMemYod
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Don't take me too seriously though - I don't actually have first-hand experience in this sector
loisb45
Rep:
?
Don't take me too seriously though - I don't actually have first-hand experience in this sector
I was thinking of doing a ou degree and just trying different jobs but I think working for the council might be a good go? Does it matter if it takes me longer to figure it out it’s just so frustrating not knowing what I want to do.
AlefMemYod
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I was thinking of doing a ou degree and just trying different jobs but I think working for the council might be a good go? Does it matter if it takes me longer to figure it out it’s just so frustrating not knowing what I want to do.
Very few people know what they want to do at this stage in life (I'm actually 20 too, and I don't really know either) and it is frustrating, there's such a narrative about finding your 'dream job'. But it really doesn't matter at all how long it takes you to find a job you're happy in; in a sense, you have the rest of your life for that. There's no race or countdown - try not to put yourself under too much stress about it, if possible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (5)
15.63%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (20)
62.5%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (5)
15.63%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (1)
3.13%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
3.13%

Watched Threads