fdowling
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’m a first year student midwife and currently having the worst time. I was so excited to start my “dream career” but since being on the course for almost a year now, I have lost my passion. My anxiety is through the roof, I dread going on placement and can’t eat or sleep as a result of this. I don’t want my friends and family to think I’m a quitter but I don’t want to feel this way and try and push through a career I can’t see myself doing in the future :/
I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation? And if anyone has any advise?
Last edited by fdowling; 1 month ago
Anonymous12311
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, im sorry to hear that you are feeling this way maybe try speaking to your teachers/tutors at university or maybe your fellow student midwives about your situation as they will probably understand what you are going through. Even speaking to your family may help. Bottling up your feelings can do more harm than good. I hope you start to feel better soon and are happy with whatever you plan to do next.
Foodlover2
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by fdowling)
I’m a first year student midwife and currently having the worst time. I was so excited to start my “dream career” but since being on the course for almost a year now, I have lost my passion. My anxiety is through the roof, I dread going on placement and can’t eat or sleep as a result of this. I don’t want my friends and family to think I’m a quitter but I don’t want to feel this way and try and push through a career I can’t see myself doing in the future :/
I was just wondering if anyone has been in the same situation? And if anyone has any advise?
First of all, i wanted to say I'm sorry you are feeling this way but maybe that's a sign that that path isn't right for you. Secondly, i used to be in the same position as you as i wanted to do midwifery in university mainly because my family, friends and teachers pushed me too do but deep down i didn't want to get into the healthcare sector so i took a gap year this year. I did get a lot of judgement at first from almost everyone and a few 'i knew she couldn't go to university, she not smart enough' but then the pandemic hit and most of them are regretting going to uni or some have even dropped out so tbh I'm glad i took the gap year because it made me realise that midwifery was not the right path for me and also the same people who i was trying so hard to please and not disappoint was the same people who were not going to be there when I am the one doing the actually work to get to a place they want. so my advice is to do what you feel is right for you because in the end we all die alone so might as well enjoy it to the fullest with only ourselves to worry. I hope this helps if you need any more information about my story just message me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (140)
42.42%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.82%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.18%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (71)
21.52%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.76%

Watched Threads