The Student Room Group

What's your guys opinion in the issue of premarital sex (ALL OPINIONS ARE VALID)?

I am just curious to know what you guys think. I know some religions (such as Islam and some forms of Christianity forbid it). Some liberals say its a societal norm and acceptable. What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Personally, I think people should be able to do it if they want to. :dontknow:
Would I? Possibly if I found the right person.
I'm Christian so I don't plan to, but I don't see issue with consenting adults exercising their right to.
I believe in God, and that Jesus Christ is the only way to him so I'd say I am a Christian. The bible explicitly states that premarital sex is a sin, so I'd avoid It. Which is pretty difficult for younger men/women but worth it. I think it's interesting most liberal thinkers believe it is a social norm and acceptable but don't take into account the issues that come with it or if they do, they don't fully understand or accept that the issue could lie in premarital sex. I think a lot of issues in society would be solved if people followed the word properly.
It’s not premarital secs if you never get married 🤗🤗🤗😂😂

All jokes aside it is a huge thing but if you want to and two people consent to it then yeah. But then again if you accidentally end up in the ER or take your parents to doctors appointments and stuff will you be comfortable with them knowing cause doctors nowadays love asking
“Are you sexually active” or are you on birth control”

Long story short do whatever you want cause it’s your life. Make sure you’re 100% sure and you have consent from both parties and that your ready !!
I didn’t mean to lecture you but it is.
Also practice safe sex cause STI’s are not the one...
Opinions will vary a lot between people depending upon their personal circumstances, ambitions, beliefs, lifestyle and sex drive.
I don't support sexual abstinence until marriage.
Some of my friends in their mid 20s-40s and all my living female ancestors do.
It’s not premarital secs if you never get married 🤗🤗🤗😂😂

All jokes aside it is a huge thing but if you want to and two people consent to it then yeah. But then again if you accidentally end up in the ER or take your parents to doctors appointments and stuff will you be comfortable with them knowing cause doctors nowadays love asking
“Are you sexually active” or are you on birth control”

Long story short do whatever you want cause it’s your life. Make sure you’re 100% sure and you have consent from both parties and that your ready !!
I didn’t mean to lecture you but it is.
Also practice safe sex cause STI’s are not the one...

Also age is a huge factor to consider! You should be 16 because anything under is considered a crime. If it’s different ages like 15- 17 then it could land you in trouble. Judging from your post I think you’re old and wise enough.
I'm a Christian and engage in it anyway.
Bro my opinion is that we need to break free of our societal chains, eat our chicken the way our ancestors did (uncooked) bro who cares if we get food poisoning. I took my life from negative to positive i just want you to know that now I spend my time on all fours eating raw chicken taking pictures for insta with a kodak.

Anyway my opinion is it's cool just do what you like bro because the earth is just a projection and it's flat
I don’t think there’s anything wrong with premarital sex and I don’t think anyone should be shamed for it. Personally I think it’s best to be very careful who you have sex with, and personally I’d only have sex with a person that I loved, understood deeply, and trusted implicitly. But ’’married’’ is not really a criterion for me.

I am Christian but not of a denomination that takes the Bible as immutable divine law.
I am a Quaker :smile:

I guess whether Quakerism is a Christian denomination these days is a bit debatable. There are plenty of Quakers who have Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist or even atheist backgrounds and have conceptions of the divine that are very much influenced by those faiths (or lack thereof). But it was originally a Christian denomination.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
I am just curious to know what you guys think. I know some religions (such as Islam and some forms of Christianity forbid it). Some liberals say its a societal norm and acceptable. What do you guys think?

Well something being a social norm doesnt make it right islam explicitly talked about this matter and we know its a sin there is no negotiation
I don't like the idea of only waiting until after marriage to have sex (whether you have it before, after or never) because I feel like it gives a bad impression of what marriage is about. I feel like people should have sex with those who they love and trust fully but marriage should be only an expression of love rather than physical desire and shouldn't create expectations for any future sexual choices those involved may make.
Why are there so many anons...
Original post by ItsStarLordMan
Why are there so many anons...

Maybe they have different views on premarital sex than their parents.
Original post by OctoberRain7
I don't like the idea of only waiting until after marriage to have sex (whether you have it before, after or never) because I feel like it gives a bad impression of what marriage is about. I feel like people should have sex with those who they love and trust fully but marriage should be only an expression of love rather than physical desire and shouldn't create expectations for any future sexual choices those involved may make.

That’s an extremely good point. Sexual desire is an awful reason to marry someone and a ban on premarital sex tends to push people in that direction.

Also, even just from the perspective of a good sex life, it’s somewhat hard to know if you’re sexually compatible with your prospective spouse if you don’t have sex before you get married.
(edited 2 years ago)
You need to try before you buy.....
if you choose not to have premarital sex thats your choice. i hate when people force their personal beliefs onto everyone else though, as if its their place to judge how other people choose to live their life.
Reply 18
Incredible the repressive measures against reasonable natural instincts that religion dares to impose. Thankfully it doesn’t really work but it is the cause of a lot guilt and hypocrisy
Only the fundamentalist approach to christianity is based upon scriptural infallibility, taking the literal interpretation of the content of religious scriptures, biblical inerrancy of one/multiple favourite bible versions and religious absolutism.
Almost all mainstream churches, christian sects and religious organisations do not favour going down the route chosen by the WBC, Terry Jones or Steven Anderson groups.

Quick Reply

Latest