Is it normal for a landlord to ask for the deposit before signing the contract?

Watch
anaindiemood
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m going into second year of uni and the landlord for the house I’m going to be moving into has requested I pay a £250 deposit. I haven’t seen the contract and haven’t signed anything as of yet. Is this normal? I’m not particularly on top of rental procedures but I just expected the deposit payment would be part of signing the contract or something you did afterward
Last edited by anaindiemood; 1 week ago
pancaakes
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You should definitely see and sign the contract before paying the deposit, as the deposit is part of the terms of the contract. You should always know what you are signing up for anyway before you agree to the contract terms, as they may be unfair or not work for you.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by anaindiemood)
I’m going into second year of uni and the landlord for the house I’m going to be moving into has requested I pay a £250 deposit. I haven’t seen the contract and haven’t signed anything as of yet. Is this normal? I’m not particularly on top of rental procedures but I just expected the deposit payment would be part of signing the contract or something you did afterward
Ive had it where landlords require you to pay a small deposit to secure the property and for them to stop advertising then you formally sign.

This has been the case with each of my last 2 properties. Not sure on how many do this but I also did do research into the realtor to make sure the agency is reputable.
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
see & sign contract before you pay anything.

dependent on the agency, some require a fee to remove the listing for the time prior to your contract signing/etc. it's BS I know, but that's how it is these days. only do this for reputable agencies though (like mnot said.)

some websites may hold the deposit for you, or it might go straight to the landlord. if it's a private landlord without an agency, never never pay such a deposit without a contract first.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.26%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (51)
65.38%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (11)
14.1%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (7)
8.97%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.28%

Watched Threads