dannythewhale_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Why is the melting point of XeF4 higher than that of PF3 even though PF3 is polar but XeF4 isn't?
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dannythewhale_)
Why is the melting point of XeF4 higher than that of PF3 even though PF3 is polar but XeF4 isn't?
Shed loads more e-.

Why is iodine a solid and water a liquid.? Hang on, I thought hydrogen bonds are stronger than London forces?!?
dannythewhale_
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Pigster)
Shed loads more e-.

Why is iodine a solid and water a liquid.? Hang on, I thought hydrogen bonds are stronger than London forces?!?
You make a very good point thank you, our teachers made us think its always hydrogen > dipole-dipole > London
Prof Harambe
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by dannythewhale_)
I said that PF3 is polar, but I justified the van der waal/london forces being bigger in XeF4 as PF3 is only slightly polarised, F is still very electronegative. This small polarity shouldn't outweigh the fact that Xe is much heavier than P and has an extra bonding pair. Also XeF4 is square planar, planarity means that the molecules can fit together neater than in the trigonal pyramidal, as each of the bonds in the PF3 is in its own plane (you could compare this to why alloys have a lower melting point, because the arrangement of ions is not regular). Bonds that are packed closer experience stronger van der waals therefore have a higher boiling point. That's my guess on the matter. This question came up for me, so thats what I said roughly.
ribenafan55
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...istry-a-level/ there's a model answer to this question in the physical MA document in this link idk how accurate it is but I'm assuming it's reliable
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise