The Student Room Group

After grad from law

I'm planning to apply to Oxford LSE UCL KCL and Durham Law for 2022 entry.

I understand that after 3 years of LLM course, I have to take LPC for one year followed by 2 years of TC at law firms to become a solicitor. However, I wonder how much would I get paid during TC period at major law firms in London and how likely is it to be able to make to top law firms in London.

Also, where am I supposed to do LPC. I searched it on google but it only shows some random universities that I've never heard of.

Any comment would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
You are thinking way too far ahead! First you have to get into university and complete 3 years of LLB - this is your undergrad. During this time you need to be building up extra-curriculars, taking up mooting, holding a position of responsibility, vacation schemes and mini-pupillages. Even if you are set on solicitor it is worth completing at least 1 mini-pupillage just to rule out the career path and as something to draw upon as to why you chose a solicitor in interviews.

In your second year you start applying for training contracts and these are really competitive and the pay varies massively between different firms. It depends on what type of law you want to practice and which firm you are at. Magic circle is unlikely but someone has to get the job there so worth applying if you meet the minimum criteria, but don't set your heart on one firm at the neglect of all others because only one application would be foolish.

For your LPC, if you land a training contract they will tell you where you are studying. Otherwise, if you are paying for it yourself and hoping for a TC afterwards then there are a lot of providers. University of Law and BPP are the two main providers but a large amount of universities now offer the LPC. There is no prestige among providers so go wherever is best for you.

University is an amazing experience, don't wish it away by focusing so much on the future that you ignore all other experiences. Also, see what law you enjoy or even if you want the job because what you think you want might be different from the reality so just keep an open mind.
Original post by hogwart

I understand that after 3 years of LLM course, I have to take LPC for one year followed by 2 years of TC at law firms to become a solicitor. However, I wonder how much would I get paid during TC period at major law firms in London and how likely is it to be able to make to top law firms in London.

Also, where am I supposed to do LPC. I searched it on google but it only shows some random universities that I've never heard of.

it's called an llb. you're supposed to do the lpc at places like BPP and ULaw. trainees get paid more than 40 thousand a year. are you sure you're using google correctly.
Hi Hogwart

EU Yakov is correct about the course name- the first stage can be a law degree known as the LLB. Then you can progress to the Legal Practice Course (called the LPC) before completing a two-year training contract with a law firm before you are officially a solicitor. Some law firms start training contract salaries around the £19,000+ mark and a FEW others have been known to offer £90,000+. The latter is very rare and ultra competitive and are only known to 'Magic Circle' firms (normally, but not exclusively, US based/linked). You can find salary information about training contracts here: https://www.lawcareers.net/.

There is also another route called the SQE route- there's a good diagram at the bottom of the page of this link: https://www.law.ac.uk/study/postgraduate/sqe/ or there is a different one here: https://www.lawcareers.net/Starting-Out/Beginners-Guide-Career-Law/Legal-Career-Paths.

There's lots of resources on this page too: https://www.lawsociety.org.uk/career-advice/becoming-a-solicitor/

Obviously being an ambassador for the University of Law, I can tell you that you can study an LPC with us but there are lots of providers so you'll want to have a think about where you want to study (geographically), the structure of the course that suits you, and the other activities offered by the providers.

There's lots to think about but hopefully some of the links I've provided will help!
All the best with it.
Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Original post by hogwart

The LPC is being replaced by a new exam the SQE which comes into effect in September 2021
Original post by hogwart

To see how much you would get paid during your TC at London firms there are salary comparators like this
https://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/law-firms/law-firm-salaries-compared
You can see there is a TON of variation between London firms. Compare michelmores to Baker McKenzie for example. they are both 'top law firms' but the kind of work they do is VERY different e.g. baker mckenzie is known for its big international corporate work whereas michelmores tends to do more smaller private client stuff so you get paid accordingly. in terms of how likely it is you'll be able to get in it depends on a lot of things but almost entirely on you, what you make of your uni experience re extracurriculars, grades and other skills you develop, whether the firms you interview with like you, and avoiding some things which are just pure bad luck e.g. i know one firm this year cancelled recruitment after accepting tc apps because it got acquired by another larger firm. you have just as much a chance as anyone.

you will probably have to do the sqe by the time you graduate, not the lpc. the lpc won't exist. but exactly the same universities (ulaw and bpp) will be running the sqe. it doesn't matter which you go to. if you secure a tc before graduation, a few of the firms on that list above will have a preference for bpp, because it produces a bespoke course for them, so the decision might be taken out of your hands anyway :smile:
If you start your law degree in 2022 not 2021 then you will be doing the new SQE exams. For the big firms this graphic from firm Slaughter and May sets out the new ruote to qualifying. It is very similar to now. After your law degree you will need to do an extra exam SQE1 probably same summer you do your law finals. Then your next 8 months as now although not called the LPC will be a course and then exams SQE2 exams. Then if you have passed you then do your 2 years of training in a big law firm on about £40k a year. That is for those who get those hard to get sponsored law firm contracts. If you do not (many do not and plenty to not even want those firms/jobs) then you could even do the SQE exams whilst working. https://www.slaughterandmay.com/media/s1salpk3/bppde-06347_law_city-consortium-graduate-flyer_may-2020_v4.pdf

The universities you have chosen are really good for these top law jobs so no problems there. You would do an LLB not LLM there. No need to do an LLM which tends to be an extra year after LLB.

There are lists of firms pay in places such as this https://www.rollonfriday.com/inside-info

it is very important to think ahead as you are doing as firms recruit at least 2 years ahead so after your first year at university I would start applying for paid holiday vacation schemes at big law firms and even before then if you can get some informal work experience related to law that can help. Then in the summer after year 2 at university start applying for training contracts in the hope the big firm will pay your "LPC" fees and maintenance (to be called something like SQE2 year - not sure of the name yet - but basically the course fees for SQE1 and 2 and the SQE2 course). Loads of people are not sponsored like that eg one of my daughters was and the other not so even if not people manage to qualify - you can get a masters loan eg for courses.

The reason you have not heard of the LPC year institutions is previous the Law Society only had the courses in 3 places via the College of Law for that one year. Then that changed and other places set up. Now the biggest firms use BPP and some use University of Law. People go where the firm is paying you to go eg BPP London would be common for London trainees. Eg my linked pdf above is to the City Consortium who are using BPP for the new SQE courses.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending