Questions about applying to Glasgow

Watch
Coral_xo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello (:

Im currently in year 12 researching different universities to apply to.

I have a list, but one I have more questions about than others is university of Glasgow

As an English student applying, could I receive a contextual offer based on postcode, like how some English universities may offer contextual offers based on postcode if you come from a low progression/disadvantaged area. Or is this just a thing for Scottish postcodes and areas at Glasgow University?

Also, any experiences you’ve had at Glasgow (the university or just the city in general) feel welcome to share them! I’d love to gain more insight into the place as a whole, as due to covid I’ve been unable to actually go visit Glasgow in person.

Thanks a bunch!
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I’m from glasgow and you’d probably get widening access which is basically contextual I think. Glasgow is nice particularly especially were the uni is which is the west end. The west end has a lot of students so it’s quite a nice environment to stay in and there’s lots of to/ nice places to eat. It’s also very close to town (city centre) and you can take the subway or bus to get there for shopping and other activities. Glasgow is also really good transportation wise as there’s a lot of buses or trains that go all around scotland and England. Although there is a few dodgy places outside of glasgow but everywhere has that and if you go to glasgow people you meet from here will tell you about it but in general it’s nothing to worry about as most Glaswegians are relatively nice and will help you with anything. Although Glasgow uni is really good I would warn you about this years scandal with applicants lol. I’ve applied for this year and still not heard back along with thousands of other people, Glasgow only started giving out offers as of 3 weeks ago lol. I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about this because next year’s situation should be so much better and you’ll hear quicker. What subject do you want to apply for? I can maybe give more advice based on that. If you have any other questions just ask!
Last edited by Ototot; 1 month ago
Coral_xo
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Ototot)
Hi, I’m from glasgow and you’d probably get widening access which is basically contextual I think. Glasgow is nice particularly especially were the uni is which is the west end. The west end has a lot of students so it’s quite a nice environment to stay in and there’s lots of to/ nice places to eat. It’s also very close to town (city centre) and you can take the subway or bus to get there for shopping and other activities. Glasgow is also really good transportation wise as there’s a lot of buses or trains that go all around scotland and England. Although there is a few dodgy places outside of glasgow but everywhere has that and if you go to glasgow people you meet from here will tell you about it but in general it’s nothing to worry about as most Glaswegians are relatively nice and will help you with anything. Although Glasgow uni is really good I would warn you about this years scandal with applicants lol. I’ve applied for this year and still not heard back along with thousands of other people, Glasgow only started giving out offers as of 3 weeks ago lol. I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about this because next year’s situation should be so much better and you’ll hear quicker. What subject do you want to apply for? I can maybe give more advice based on that. If you have any other questions just ask!
Hi! Thanks for replying, the subject I’m looking at is either politics or international relations
Ototot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Coral_xo)
Hi! Thanks for replying, the subject I’m looking at is either politics or international relations
I’ve applied his year for history and politics when I spoke to someone who done politics they said they really enjoyed the course at glasgow.
Last edited by Ototot; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (148)
43.27%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.7%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.19%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.05%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.94%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.85%

Watched Threads