The Student Room Group

What feels best, A level Results, Uni offer, Uni Results, Job/internship offer?

I felt like my uni offer actually kicked me the most adrenaline, because I felt like if I did well at the University I got into (Nottingham) I wouldn't have an easy easy life, but I would have some opportunity to succeed!

What about you guy's!!

Scroll to see replies

Each one gave me equal levels of excitement, as as that point that was one of the greatest achievements I've earned.

Looking back now (and conscious that graduating this year I'm not having a proper graduation), I think getting a job offer was the greatest feeling. Ultimately, it was the most competitive thing I was able to get, and I know that I have a job in a crazy environment right now.

But at each step I wouldn't be where I was if I wasn't on track for good results, which I could only get if I got a university offer, which I could only get... etc. etc.
Reply 2
A-Levels - Relief.
Undergraduate - Relief.
PhD - Couldn't give a ****.
Potential job offer one day in the future - dancing around the house all day.
(edited 2 years ago)
Results days definitely.

Offers are ok, but you still need to meet them, and job offers are amazing but there is pressure to then deliver and do a good job.

Of the ones you listed getting your results is the only one that’s the end of something.. it’s done and if you did well, it’s amazing.

School results days weee especially exciting just because of the nature of having everyone go to the same place to open them roughly together. That doesn’t happen at university in my experience. Knowing your opening them together really raises the nerves but also the celebration.

I still remember my gcse results, staying over with a few friends barely sleeping, walking to school together nervously chatting.. opening the results and then walking to the beach after to celebrate. Amazing day
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 4
For both uni offers and A-level results day the main feeling was just relief that I wasn't going to have to be worrying myself about it.

For 1st year uni results, total apathy. Couldn't be more different.
GCSE: Was absolutely over the moon, I got all A*s apart from maths and spanish but i was actually most pleased about my As in them because i worked so hard for those in paticular
AS: Even though i got 4As it was a bit of a meh experience mainly because i walked down on my own as my parent didnt come with me. I was actually in quite a dark place at the time as towards the end of year 12 was when my mental health issues started
A2: I was *that* person who cried because they got an A instead of an A* :lol: looking back it has made absolutely no difference to my life lol :rofl:
Uni offer: I got an unconditional after my interview and i was really hyped at the time but by the time year 13 results day rolled around the excitment had kind of worn off since i had had my place for months at that point
1st job offer after graduation: More relief and nerves than excitement tbh, i was convinced that having no former work experience and having graduated in a pandemic that noone was ever going to hire me
2nd job offer: I was absolutely over the moon, ive always wanted to be a designer and being promoted so soon after joining the company made me feel really proud of myself. Getting a job offer as a design engineer has trumped all of the other results i've had in my life as ive felt this offer has been a accumulation of all those years of work.
Reply 6
A level and uni results: relief.

Uni offer: quite happy, but I also had a few other offers so it wasn’t anything special. Also, since it was a conditional offer, I didn’t want to jinx it by celebrating too early.

Internships: Alright. The application process was very long, so it would have sucked if I had received nothing after investing so much time and energy. But it didn’t guarantee a job.

Job offer: Nothing. Knew I wasn’t going to accept.
I felt more relief from finishing my final exams than I did from getting the results. This applied from GCSEs to the end of University. Walking out of the last exams was like having weights lifted from my shoulders. It was beyond compare! :biggrin:

My first job offer after finishing University felt surreal, probably because I wasn't expecting it. I had jobs prior to that but they were either part time or summer jobs, nothing full time in the field I wanted to work in.
A level and university results were fantastic because they were followed by a period of hedonism.

The momentary joy I got from accepting my most recent job offer was quickly followed by the realisation that I'll be getting up at 6.30 am for the foreseeable future.
Job offer felt the best. Having struggled to find employment throughout my 4th year, it was wonderful to finally land something.

University and A-level results are second and third respectively, although I felt more relieved than anything.
Original post by Contested Claim
A level and university results were fantastic because they were followed by a period of hedonism.

The momentary joy I got from accepting my most recent job offer was quickly followed by the realisation that I'll be getting up at 6.30 am for the foreseeable future.

Is it bad that I think 6:30 is fine? Would love to wake up at that time.

I'm usually up at around 5-5:30am...
Original post by Realitysreflexx
I felt like my uni offer actually kicked me the most adrenaline, because I felt like if I did well at the University I got into (Nottingham) I wouldn't have an easy easy life, but I would have some opportunity to succeed!

What about you guy's!!

Hey there @Realitysreflexx

That's a really interesting question!
I got the most happiness when I got my uni offer. I got a text from Surrey that I got it as my firm choice in the morning of results day before I went to school to collect my results. As I got the offer I automatically knew the minimum grades I would have got so didn't have much enthusiasm to know my results. I got BBB and at the time I was a bit annoyed at myself that I got a B for maths when I wanted an A (yes I know it sounds stupid). Took me a few days afterwards to realise it would have made no difference if I got a higher grade because I would still be going the same university.

All the best
Anna Civil Eng :smile:
The job offer: I got a perspective and a work to earn my money. After almost a year of doubts what I can do, these were good news.
Original post by MatthewAteYou
Each one gave me equal levels of excitement, as as that point that was one of the greatest achievements I've earned.

Looking back now (and conscious that graduating this year I'm not having a proper graduation), I think getting a job offer was the greatest feeling. Ultimately, it was the most competitive thing I was able to get, and I know that I have a job in a crazy environment right now.

But at each step I wouldn't be where I was if I wasn't on track for good results, which I could only get if I got a university offer, which I could only get... etc. etc.

Obviously the job offer is nice because you can really begin to build a future, and I'm super happy with the job I got. Though it was an arduous two months. I had four final interviews and only got one job! Was also the last place I interviewed at, in person and six rounds over multiple days.

But I'm super excited for it! Also being an older graduate (30) I think two months to find a job and getting to four final interviews was quite the achievement. I do have pretty good degrees though, but still the reputation of where I work, and who I'll be working with on day to day basis is amazing.

I'm also suprised I was able to pull off two months, simply because I just like @CoolCavy have zero work experience, not a single internship.

Though I was able to teach at my university as a teaching assistant in the Netherlands. All in all I just got lucky being native in German and English is something the UK economy desperately needs.
(edited 2 years ago)
I'd say each has its own positive. Instead of comparing, celebrate all the successes that come your way!
probably getting into uni
i had to do an extra year at college to get the ucas and do some relevant work experience to get into anywhere worthwhile
Original post by 0le
A-Levels - Relief.
Undergraduate - Relief.
(...)

Relief is the best chosen word to express my feeling when I catched up with A levels by second chance.
Whilst a a good job offer should feel the best given its much harder to get than any of the things you mentioned, I think a-levels gave the most satisfaction as you then can look forward to going to uni which is exciting rather than working which is 😑😑😑
A-Levels: heart sank...a feeling I wouldn't want my worst enemy to feel
Resit A-Level: Relief
Uni Results: *pending* but I assume relief x10000 (my biggest cause of stress atm)
Internship offer: Anger as the offer call came in the middle of my FIFA game
FT offer: Nothing as I knew I was going to reject
Reply 19
didn't care too much about any of them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending