Why can somebody be blunt?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So people I often think I am I am being sarcastic while I am not. Here’s an example: I’ll say oh that’s nice or that’s good. And friends will say ohh I can see the first bit was sarcasm. I’ll say no it wasn’t. I’m just very straight forward and too direct and too organised especially in the way I talk also.
I am very to the point but I’m also very jokey some times. I feel I am not the most expressive person. That’s due to my past.
But what causes people to be like that?
Reserved in their words? If so how can I change that. Sometimes I like it as it puts a wall up
TJ1997
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe it's the way you deliver it, as in your tone and facial expressions. "That's nice" and "that's good" are hard words to say without being sarcastic tbf, so it's not a massive issue but maybe be a little more enthusiastic when reacting to things or sense the mood in the room.

There should be some videos on speech and language for conversations on YouTube. Another thing that helped me (as someone with aspergers) was watching a fair bit of stand up comedy or examples of humour so to understand punchlines, delivery and how a slight change can turn a sentence into something completely different, especially things like double entendres.
Foxehh
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You're just sensible. There is no reason to ramble on about something when its not needed, it's not necessarily a bad quality to have.
success4life
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by TJ1997)
Maybe it's the way you deliver it, as in your tone and facial expressions. "That's nice" and "that's good" are hard words to say without being sarcastic tbf, so it's not a massive issue but maybe be a little more enthusiastic when reacting to things or sense the mood in the room.

There should be some videos on speech and language for conversations on YouTube. Another thing that helped me (as someone with aspergers) was watching a fair bit of stand up comedy or examples of humour so to understand punchlines, delivery and how a slight change can turn a sentence into something completely different, especially things like double entendres.
Think is I don’t have autism or aspergers. Sometimes I think I do as I can’t take a joke. I take things seriously.
I’ll have a look. Thanks
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's tone.

I am super blunt and super direct, and I can say 'oh that's cool' without people thinking I'm being snide.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Just the way I am.
success4life
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gjd800)
It's tone.

I am super blunt and super direct, and I can say 'oh that's cool' without people thinking I'm being snide.
That’s good. It’s harder on messages though x
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by success4life)
That’s good. It’s harder on messages though x
Yeah, text really doesn't convey intention and I is so easy to misread!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (8)
10.81%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (50)
67.57%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (10)
13.51%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (5)
6.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (1)
1.35%

Watched Threads