anon1830483
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
because i regret doing 2 btec subjects at gcse level and I really did not like them both and regret taking them and doing exams as I wish i could have broad subjects which will give me more aspirations and I feel dumb doing 2 btecs as I regret not changing the subjects as I wish because i was thinking what if no university's would not accept me if i did 2 btecs option choices at gcse

I am a pakistani girl who matters about what subjects they do lol yh

I just wish I picked differet subjects at gcses tbh

btecs aren't valuable like a gcse so i think its dumb to do any btec and it has no 9-1 grad anyway

so would Gcses matter to me for university or no as I have no clue ad regret taking 2 btecs?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Generally GCSE subjects aren't important, compared to your overall grade profile. Some universities and/or courses put more emphasis on your GCSE grades, which may for example include number of GCSEs at or above a specified grade or proportion of your GCSEs at or above a specified grade. I'm not sure how BTEC type courses would be included in this.

However having taken applied/vocational subjects instead of GCSEs, provided you still did the "core" GCSEs (maths, English language, sometimes science or English literature are included in this), it shouldn't matter. I did CiDA (a non-GCSE semi-vocational qualification) during my GCSEs and it was never an issue when applying to any uni of the unis I've been accepted at.
Rarest
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
As long as do maths and english lang and score well in them (aim for 5 at an absolute minimum, but ideally 6-7+) then GCSEs stop mattering.

The only places that might care are very top universities like Oxbridge where it might be a factor only due to the sheer competition. However, for most universities as long as you got 5s in Maths and English and a handful of other qualifications (either BTEC or GCSEs) they don't care.

Once you start A Levels no one will care what happened at GCSE lol. For the majority of applications, A levels will be the key factor in deciding the outcome.
UrFellowMedic
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by anon1830483)
because i regret doing 2 btec subjects at gcse level and I really did not like them both and regret taking them and doing exams as I wish i could have broad subjects which will give me more aspirations and I feel dumb doing 2 btecs as I regret not changing the subjects as I wish because i was thinking what if no university's would not accept me if i did 2 btecs option choices at gcse

I am a pakistani girl who matters about what subjects they do lol yh

I just wish I picked differet subjects at gcses tbh

btecs aren't valuable like a gcse so i think its dumb to do any btec and it has no 9-1 grad anyway

so would Gcses matter to me for university or no as I have no clue ad regret taking 2 btecs?
Literally the only GCSEs that matter is Maths and English Language, with the odd science if you are aiming for stem (Southampton medicine requires 7s in sciences, maths and English for example). As one of the previous posters said, Oxford are the ones that put weighting into GCSEs, but if you get 7 at least in your maths, English and sciences, you have nothing to worry about honestly. I say 7 because of the Southampton requirement, best to keep your options as open as possible! This is for a STEM route, so if you are going down the humanities route then it may be different.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (30)
28.85%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.62%
No I am happy with my choice (58)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
5.77%

Watched Threads