Lea438
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have been told by lots of people that doing two degrees is a bad idea for financial reasons, but it is my only option. I did a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in animal management and i want to he a vet but my only option is to do either the gateway course at rvc or to do a science degree first and go on to do grad entry vet med. Th only problem with doing the gateway is that one module that is required i dont think my course does it. I want to do a zoology degree and then go into grad vet med. could somebody who is currently doing a science degree to get onto vet med or has done it, explain to me if its a good idea or not
Jordanperry1996
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lea438)
I have been told by lots of people that doing two degrees is a bad idea for financial reasons, but it is my only option. I did a BTEC level 3 extended diploma in animal management and i want to he a vet but my only option is to do either the gateway course at rvc or to do a science degree first and go on to do grad entry vet med. Th only problem with doing the gateway is that one module that is required i dont think my course does it. I want to do a zoology degree and then go into grad vet med. could somebody who is currently doing a science degree to get onto vet med or has done it, explain to me if its a good idea or not
As someone who did the city and guilds level 3 extended diploma and is about to finish university with a first class degree in bioveterinary science, I can give you pros and cons for this route. The biggest pro is that when you go from undergrad to a vet med degree, you will already be used to the rigour of university. This includes the pace of assignments and the intensity of exams. However, going through the graduate route is quite a task, as one, you have to graduate with a high 2:1 or a 1st which is very difficult with a science degree, and two, the cost of such a route is very high. You can get funding assistance, however, this is dependant on the university. Now just to clarify, even though your applying as a graduate, it is still as competitive as the normal route, specifically the work experience aspect. This is something that tripped me up this year when applying because of COVID, but I will be applying in 2022 so it is not impossible. I would personally recommend it when going from level 3 animal management, as the skills you learn through this course, does help greatly with a normal science degree like zoology.
Lea438
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Jordanperry1996)
As someone who did the city and guilds level 3 extended diploma and is about to finish university with a first class degree in bioveterinary science, I can give you pros and cons for this route. The biggest pro is that when you go from undergrad to a vet med degree, you will already be used to the rigour of university. This includes the pace of assignments and the intensity of exams. However, going through the graduate route is quite a task, as one, you have to graduate with a high 2:1 or a 1st which is very difficult with a science degree, and two, the cost of such a route is very high. You can get funding assistance, however, this is dependant on the university. Now just to clarify, even though your applying as a graduate, it is still as competitive as the normal route, specifically the work experience aspect. This is something that tripped me up this year when applying because of COVID, but I will be applying in 2022 so it is not impossible. I would personally recommend it when going from level 3 animal management, as the skills you learn through this course, does help greatly with a normal science degree like zoology.
Thank you, that is really helpful. If I had any other choice of doing veterinary medicine I would without the initial science route, but this is my only choice so as you can tell I want to do everything I can to get it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads