The Student Room Group

Slavery - History NEA

To anyone who has done slavery for their History NEA, is there any way to avoid using the N-word in our essay? or is there any sources, resources etc. that would be useful?
Reply 1
Original post by mochy
To anyone who has done slavery for their History NEA, is there any way to avoid using the N-word in our essay? or is there any sources, resources etc. that would be useful?

Why would you need to use the N-word?
Reply 2
Original post by lara147
Why would you need to use the N-word?

my teacher says we will most likely have to quote people and sources which say the n-word and we can't really avoid using it.
Reply 3
Original post by mochy
my teacher says we will most likely have to quote people and sources which say the n-word and we can't really avoid using it.

Then you quote it like ‘n*****’ rather than spell it out. It’s a derogatory word and idk what type of teacher this is.
Reply 4
Original post by lara147
Then you quote it like ‘n*****’ rather than spell it out. It’s a derogatory word and idk what type of teacher this is. here

here's the issue, i asked that we star it out but according to the exam board, we cannot star it out. all of this doesn't sit right with me
Reply 5
Original post by mochy
here's the issue, i asked that we star it out but according to the exam board, we cannot star it out. all of this doesn't sit right with me

What??? That’s definitely not okay in every way possible. The whole point of this is to learn about slavery and to then use the derogatory word is like a slap in the face. If you did star it out everyone will understand what it means. Maybe ask your teacher for a way around this bc this isn’t right at all.
Reply 6
Original post by lara147
What??? That’s definitely not okay in every way possible. The whole point of this is to learn about slavery and to then use the derogatory word is like a slap in the face. If you did star it out everyone will understand what it means. Maybe ask your teacher for a way around this bc this isn’t right at all.

that's what I'm saying!! but I've asked for ways around it but she says that there isn't unfortunately : (
we're limited in the options for our NEA and slavery was something I was interested in, I think I have to do my NEA on something different.
Reply 7
Original post by mochy
that's what I'm saying!! but I've asked for ways around it but she says that there isn't unfortunately : (
we're limited in the options for our NEA and slavery was something I was interested in, I think I have to do my NEA on something different.

Wow that’s so weird bc I would assume that exam boards wouldn’t want you to use derogatory words that would make others feel uncomfortable. Hopefully you’ll find another interesting topic to work on!
Reply 8
Original post by lara147
Wow that’s so weird bc I would assume that exam boards wouldn’t want you to use derogatory words that would make others feel uncomfortable. Hopefully you’ll find another interesting topic to work on!

yea, its weird, but thanks anyway!

Quick Reply

Latest