Would a top uni for cs accept me if i have maths cs and business as a levels?

Watch
Mystxgon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I take maths, computer science and business at a level and i want to do a cs degree but im worried top unis for cs like Manchester wont accept me even if i get A*A*A* because business is regarded as a soft subject? A lot of other students seem to have enrolled onto fmaths, science, economics ect whereas im the only one doing business. Will they have priority over me for when unis are selecting students? If this is the case could i switch business out for fmaths after y12 or would that be too late? I wouldn't mind taking fmaths a level privately in that case either. I enjoy maths and i do want to take fmaths, i dont know why i even chose business i regret my choices. I first picked biology then business and now i want to switch again i dont know if ill be allowed to switch again anymore.

Any thoughts?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Those A levels are fine.

A few CS degrees will prefer FM but there’s plenty of excellent top CS courses that don’t prefer FM. If you’re able to take FM as an AS level in your free time then that will usually be plenty even for those universities.

Business studies is more useful to CS than economics or biology.
Last edited by PQ; 1 month ago
Anony23
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mystxgon)
I take maths, computer science and business at a level and i want to do a cs degree but im worried top unis for cs like Manchester wont accept me even if i get A*A*A* because business is regarded as a soft subject? A lot of other students seem to have enrolled onto fmaths, science, economics ect whereas im the only one doing business. Will they have priority over me for when unis are selecting students? If this is the case could i switch business out for fmaths after y12 or would that be too late? I wouldn't mind taking fmaths a level privately in that case either. I enjoy maths and i do want to take fmaths, i dont know why i even chose business i regret my choices. I first picked biology then business and now i want to switch again i dont know if ill be allowed to switch again anymore.

Any thoughts?
I did FM, maths, bio, chem. I have a predicted 4 A stars and am top 10 in my year for 2 of those. They don't care about A levels, I have seen people with 2 A stars and 2 As get into unis that I have been rejected for. I am currently going to go to a uni, where another friend of mine is going with 1 A star, 1 A and 2 Bs. I did infintiely more work and ended up with the same end result. I have been rejected for 3 unis for CS with 4 A stars- they dont gaf.
Last edited by Anony23; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (196)
43.85%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (50)
11.19%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (35)
7.83%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (94)
21.03%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (47)
10.51%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.59%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed