Advice for mature student starting Children’s nursing after a period out of education

Watch
Gemsbelle
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi
I am hoping to get some advice before starting a Children’s nursing degree.
I have been out of education for 10 years and was just wondering if anyone could give any advice on what my level of knowledge should be prior to starting with regards to things like science and maths? I am planning to go over these subjects before starting the course but any advice on specific things I should be looking at would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Questionsandan
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey I’m also a mature student 👋🏽 I believe science and maths should be at gcse C or above, which I now believe is called grade 4. I was also nervous about maths so got myself a weekly tutor, she’s saved my life and made me familiar with all different types of maths that wasn’t around before ( I left school 16 years ago) hope that helps 😄
Becky2305
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As the above said, definitely to GCSE standard at grade C/4 at a minimum. Most universities will list their requirements on their websites, but will require you to of been in education no more than 5 years ago, so you might need to take an Access to HE course.

I am also a mature student and have no science/maths based qualifications beyond GCSE and have received unconditional offers from all unis that have interviewed me so far. I previously graduated from a degree in a different subject in 2017 though, so this will have made a difference in my application.
Gemsbelle
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thanks so much for your replies I really appreciate it. I also have a degree I just completed this a while ago luckily this hasn’t affected my application and I’ve still received an unconditional offer.
I just want to refresh my science and maths knowledge before I start and wasn’t sure if the science in particular should be at A level.
Thanks very much for your advice 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (151)
43.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (40)
11.59%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.12%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
9.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.8%

Watched Threads