The Student Room Group

Are you still deciding your firm and insurance choices?

Poll

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

The 20th May is the day that universities have to make a decision on your application by if you applied before the 29th January, and decision time is starting to creep up on a lot of us! We've noticed a lot of people are still making their decisions and have lots of questions around what the best option for them is.

Are you still making your firm and insurance choices? If you have decided and you haven't entered your decision into UCAS yet, why is that?

Are you waiting on any more offers to come through?

Do you still have unanswered questions?

Do you want to wait until the deadline so you can sit with your decision a while?

Is there anything that may be happening in the world right now that could mean your decision changes in the next couple of weeks?

Let us know your thoughts!

Need some help making your decisions? Check out our thread full of useful tips, tools and articles on making your firm and insurance choice here!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
I applied for ucas in early January and I am still waiting for one uni to make a decision which is KCL before I can decide what to firm and fill in the student finance application.
Original post by ath99
I applied for ucas in early January and I am still waiting for one uni to make a decision which is KCL before I can decide what to firm and fill in the student finance application.

You do NOT need to wait for your firm to be picked to apply for student finance. You shouldn't delay it.

Just apply with your best guess about where you'll be going - if you guess wrong then you can update your application in the summer but if you don't have your application in (including all household income and evidence) by 21 May then you wont be guaranteed to be paid on time at the start of your course.
something else - I can't decide between Aberdeen for Psychology and Glasgow for Law, even if Glasgow agreed to change my course I really wanted to move out of here but it's a good uni :frown:
Personally, I got rejected from my first choice which completely threw me off. I now have to decide between 2 great unis but have no idea how to make my mind up
Reply 5
Original post by lorry237
something else - I can't decide between Aberdeen for Psychology and Glasgow for Law, even if Glasgow agreed to change my course I really wanted to move out of here but it's a good uni :frown:

You can still move out!! I'm in the same situation (sort of) where I want to do law at Glasgow but also want to move out, so I emailed the accommodation admissions people and asked if I would be rejected from halls because I live nearby and they said that they don't look at address! If you want to move out, and still study at the university you want to then you can :smile:
Original post by nom06
You can still move out!! I'm in the same situation (sort of) where I want to do law at Glasgow but also want to move out, so I emailed the accommodation admissions people and asked if I would be rejected from halls because I live nearby and they said that they don't look at address! If you want to move out, and still study at the university you want to then you can :smile:

technically I wanted aberdeen because it’s a completely new city and i love beach walks, but glasgow is such a good school. and the campus! I think this decision would be much easier if it was just aberdeen vs glasgow but it’s also psychology vs law :frown: But it’s good to know about halls cause I definitely want to live in halls whichever I pick! Xx
(edited 2 years ago)
I've firmed but don't like the choices I've made and hope to enter adjustment
Reply 8
Honestly it just feels like a really big decison that I don't feel ready to make yet. I kind've have a good idea on which one to choose as I've already received all of my offers, but I don't like the idea of being presented a range of options and then being forced to only open one of the doors and shut all the others, if you get what I mean. I suck at making decisions, and when they're this big I just want to avoid it until the deadline.
Does anyone know when a university offer becomes 'legally binding'?
If you firm an offer in June, to what extent are you then committed (including paying deposits/ accommodation/fees etc)?

I've applied to Drama school and am on reserve lists, which means I could receive an offer right up to September?
What happens to my 'firm' choice then - can I back out without penalty?
Original post by AlexSilver
Does anyone know when a university offer becomes 'legally binding'?
If you firm an offer in June, to what extent are you then committed (including paying deposits/ accommodation/fees etc)?

I've applied to Drama school and am on reserve lists, which means I could receive an offer right up to September?
What happens to my 'firm' choice then - can I back out without penalty?

You’re only liable to pay fees when you enrol onto a degree. And even then many universities will have exceptions in their fee payment policy/terms and conditions that allow students to withdraw without charge within the first fortnight.
Accommodation contracts are a separate issue and something you need to read the terms and conditions for. Some will include a non refundable deposit if you decide not to take up your place, others signing the contract will commit you to pay the full rent for the year. It’s something that you need to look into when applying for accommodation and booking rooms (specifically the cancellation charges)

Quick Reply