Sixth form dilemma

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey guys, so I have something I’d love your takes on, all help is appreciated.

The sixth form,
X and Y are sixth form 1 and sixth form 2.
Sixth form X is much, much further away than sixth form Y.

Sixth form X has a more ‘open’ timetable that I like.

Sixth form X is a stand alone sixth form and so it will be easier to make friends, ADDITIONALLY (here’s the big bit) all of my friends are attending sixth form X

Now,
My girlfriend is going to sixth form Y and is taking the same subjects as me, this worries me in case anything was to happen to the relationship. I adore her but it is still a factor. She would also be heartbroken if I told her I was going to the other sixth form.

Sixth form Y is academically a better school and has smaller class sizes, meaning I will receive much more adroit and valuable teaching.

However, Sixth form Y is Year 7-13 school and so people will already have their cult gatherings meaning I will be left with no friends other than my girlfriend.
Of course, she has friends that I could befriend but it is not really the same as having your own friends.

I think that’s all, I would love any help anybody could give to me for this, thanks!
Anonymous #2
Report 2 months ago
I would say go sixth form X , it seems like a nicer environment and you’ll meet people which are all in the same boat as you. Going different sixth forms probaly won’t effect you guys that much if you put the work in you can make it work and she already has a group of friends who’ll be there for her, you should venture out. She will understand if you pick sixth for X. As for sixth form Y being better, I feel like that depends on you , you can only really succeed if you work for it !
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I would say go for Y even with your girlfriend there you can make friends and not wasting time travelling makes life a lot more pleasant. I don’t know exactly what you mean by open timetable (I assume it means you get a lot of free periods) but say your day only has one lesson your commute could be more than your lesson time at X. I went to a college with my friends from secondary but after a week or two I ended up making new friends and I hardly ever see my old friends (my best friends did go to a different sixth form though).
Last edited by Hellllpppp; 2 months ago
Sam115511
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I would say go sixth form X , it seems like a nicer environment and you’ll meet people which are all in the same boat as you. Going different sixth forms probaly won’t effect you guys that much if you put the work in you can make it work and she already has a group of friends who’ll be there for her, you should venture out. She will understand if you pick sixth for X. As for sixth form Y being better, I feel like that depends on you , you can only really succeed if you work for it !
This was a really nice insight thank you so much!
I completely agree but the commute is another factor that I dread so much, it’s two buses haha
Sam115511
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Hellllpppp)
I would say go for Y even with your girlfriend there you can make friends and not wasting time travelling makes life a lot more pleasant. I don’t know exactly what you mean by open timetable (I assume it means you get a lot of free periods) but say your day only has one lesson your commute could be more than your lesson time at X. I went to a college with my friends from secondary but after a week or two I ended up making new friends and I hardly ever see my old friends (my best friends did go to a different sixth form though).
Thank you!

I agree with the travelling I really loathe the prospect of it.

My only problem is: do you think I can still make friends despite it being a high school/sixth form?
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Personally I’d go for Y. Having a commute is killer, and it seems like it might set you up better. Good quality teaching is worth its weight in gold. I don’t think it’ll be as hard to make friends as you make it out to be
Sam115511
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Personally I’d go for Y. Having a commute is killer, and it seems like it might set you up better. Good quality teaching is worth its weight in gold. I don’t think it’ll be as hard to make friends as you make it out to be
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
This was really nice and I think I’m swaying to your judgment in honesty.

Do you think it’s possible to stay in contact with my current friends? We are very tight knitted and I want to keep them but I am scared that sixth form will take it’s toll on our friendships.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sam115511)
This was really nice and I think I’m swaying to your judgment in honesty.

Do you think it’s possible to stay in contact with my current friends? We are very tight knitted and I want to keep them but I am scared that sixth form will take it’s toll on our friendships.
I really don’t know; I can’t make any guarantees. If you guys are tight-knit and you’re prepared to put effort into keeping in touch with them then it’ll probably be okay.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 months ago
I would say do what’s best for you academically I mean you have to realise that the people who you are with now may not be the same people you are with in future so choose what is academically best for you
Hellllpppp
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Sam115511)
Thank you!

I agree with the travelling I really loathe the prospect of it.

My only problem is: do you think I can still make friends despite it being a high school/sixth form?
Yes of course, they’ll be people who have outgrown the friends they made in year 7/ throughout secondary and hopefully in lessons you’ll all be mixed up and can make friends based off of your common interest in the subjects you’re taking.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (35)
15.28%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (70)
30.57%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (28)
12.23%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (19)
8.3%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (13)
5.68%
I think it's an unfair expectation (61)
26.64%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.31%

Watched Threads