maddierm
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
————
Last edited by maddierm; 9 months ago
maxtom
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
i was j about to post a similar question about Econ but i found a 2022 applicants thread that had a link to a course guide that had this table comparing different unis for econ based on grades and different factors and it was rly good. I'm p sure they have a page for history so that might be worth checking out? the website was called unirise and i think it was called wtf guide i would have a look there it helped me out q a lot.
maddierm
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by maxtom)
i was j about to post a similar question about Econ but i found a 2022 applicants thread that had a link to a course guide that had this table comparing different unis for econ based on grades and different factors and it was rly good. I'm p sure they have a page for history so that might be worth checking out? the website was called unirise and i think it was called wtf guide i would have a look there it helped me out q a lot.
Thank you! Will definitely go and check it out!
Uni of Hull Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by maddierm)
Hi. I am aware this is a very general question (sorry!) but I just wanted to get some advice or 'recommendations' of universities that you think are particularly great for studying History.

I am currently Year 12 (starting uni in Sep 2022).
GCSEs: 9999988877
A-Levels (History, English Lit, Spanish): predicted a minimum of AAA (although I haven't done Year 12 mocks yet so these grades are not my official predicted grades, I don't think)

It would be amazing to hear from anybody, especially people who have already studied or are currently studying History at a university they enjoy.
Hi maddierm

It is great that you are considering studying History at university.

I would recommend searching courses via UCAS website. This will bring up the variety of courses which are offered.

I am a current PhD History Student at the University of Hull. If you have any questions about studying HIstory at university you can ask me via our 'Ask a Student' page - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/ask-a-student
You can also find our history course here - https://www.hull.ac.uk/study/undergr...istory-ba-hons

I hope this helps, and happy to answer any questions you may have

Emily
University of Hull Student Representative
UniofReading
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Hi. I am aware this is a very general question (sorry!) but I just wanted to get some advice or 'recommendations' of universities that you think are particularly great for studying History.

A-Levels (History, English Lit, Spanish): predicted a minimum of AAA (although I haven't done Year 12 mocks yet so these grades are not my official predicted grades, I don't think)

It would be amazing to hear from anybody, especially people who have already studied or are currently studying History at a university they enjoy.
Hey maddierm,

It's fab to hear that you want to study history! Huge congrats on the GCSE grades too - those are fantastic!

I'm currently a 2nd year student at the University of Reading, and whilst I don't study history, I do study politics and international relations so pretty similar departments! I also have lots of friends here who study history so hopefully I can give you a rough idea of what its like and what Reading is like as a university in general.

Our history degree here at Reading gives you the opportunity to study a really wide range of subjects and time periods. In your first year you will do topics such as power and people, culture and concepts, an individual research project and you'll also be able to pick optional modules out of a really long list! Here are some of them...
- Women in American History
- Slavery
- The origins of the War on Terror
- The Rwanda Genocide of 1994
- Warfare in Early Modern Europe
- British history
- Anti-semitism
- Radicalism and protest in Britain
- Exploring the Atlantic World
And there are even more in your second and third years! Reading also gives you the opportunity to study abroad, take a year in placement or do a joint honours degree (for example, Ancient History, Classical and Medieval studies, a language, or Politics!), so you have lots of options.

If you would like to learn more about studying History at Reading, you can check out the course here! The history department also has its own website which you can have a look at here, or you can contact them by email at [email protected] with any specific questions you might have. If you would like to chat to a student who is currently studying History, you can chat to Daisy who is currently studying Ancient History, or Hannah who is studying Archaeology and History.

Personally, I love Reading as a university! Its campus based so you have everything that you could possibly need all in the same place and its very student friendly. The campus itself is beautiful - it has lots of green areas and even a lake! It has really good transport links to and from town, and is close to London for some fun days out. The campus also has its own security team, so you feel very safe (this is something I didn't consider when applying to uni but I'm so glad Reading has this!)
If you would like to have a look at our campus, you can take a virtual campus tour to see what you think
We also have an open day coming up next month so you can find out more if you are interested.

I hope this helps you out with your search for a university. Please feel free to ask me any questions that you have!

Daisy
2nd year politics and international relations student
Last edited by UniofReading; 1 year ago
University of York
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

Hi!

The course content is an important part of your university experience. Maybe have a read through some of the module choices at York and see if anything sparks your interest. However, there is so much more to uni than just the content of your degree. There are so many factors, including accommodation, location and student life. Maybe have a think about what's important to you and which uni meets your needs.

I'd also recommend checking out our student blogs as they're written by current History students, so may help to give an insight into what it's like to study at York. The Head of Department Laura Stewart has this really interesting profile, which will help you to get to know one of our lecturers. Finally, you could have a look at our History page, where you can sign up to our online open day and find out more about the course.

I studied Music rather than History at York I'm afraid, but if you have any questions about York (the city, campus, student life, accommodation etc.) then I'm happy to help! It's a beautiful city and a great place to live!

I hope this helps!

Hazel
Graduate Ambassador
mandyelicup
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago

It would be amazing to hear from anybody, especially people who have already studied or are currently studying History at a university they enjoy
Sorry - I know this isn't directly related to your question - but I was just wondering how you find the A-levels you take at the moment? I'm thinking of taking the same ones and it would be really helpful to know how you find it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (55)
27.36%
As I expected (65)
32.34%
Harder (73)
36.32%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.98%

Watched Threads