Rorybatchelor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello anyone who reads this.
I was wondering if I should do RS or sociology for GCSE.
I would like to do philosophy along with history and politics (which I have already taken).
Would RS be important for philosophy A-level.
Also I have not taken a language and I am attracted mandarin as I already know Japanese kanji (Chinese characters with Japanese sounds but the same meaning).
If you could give me any advice then that would be great.
Confusing
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
For me, I will choose sociology instead of RS because I don't believe in any religious. Btw I can speak, write, read and listen to Mandarin so if you need help you can find me.
Hope this help you.
giella
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
RS is better for philosophy A level but not essential. However, as some sixth forms only offer RS and you may find yourself at a different one than you currently plan, RS GCSE may be the way to go.
sushieater37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you should go forward with RS- you don’t have to be part of a religion to do well in it it just touches on some ideas/theories which can go hand in hand with philosophy in fact I remember having lots of philosophical discussions during my RE lessons so I believe it’s better to take it up.

Also definitely take up mandarin especially if you’re already familiar with it- it’s a subject that’s growing in demand and it’s quite valuable for your future to have a qualification in Mandarin! Hope this helped, best wishes 😊
Sam115511
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Confusing)
For me, I will choose sociology instead of RS because I don't believe in any religious. Btw I can speak, write, read and listen to Mandarin so if you need help you can find me.
Hope this help you.
This is an atrocious way of looking at it. Since when did you HAVE to be religious to partake in RS? A big majority of theological philosophers are atheists.

RS is an amazing subject and really widens your view and Density of society, all while improving your essay writing.
Last edited by Sam115511; 1 month ago
Rorybatchelor
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thank you for the reply's,
My last question would be, can I drop 1 or 2 subjects in the beging of may year 10.
I know it might depend on the school but if you have any information on it then that would be very helpful.
The subjects I want to drop are drama and possibly art for mandarin.
Thanks again ☺️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (42)
36.84%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (10)
8.77%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.39%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25.44%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.79%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.77%

Watched Threads