millie673
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
‘What details in Virgil’s portrayal of the fall of Troy strike you as particularly tragic?
You should support your answer with a range of references to the parts of Aeneid 2 you
have read.
does anyone know how to answer this question
HeeHaw
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
ok so some points i may make are
- dehumanisation of Priam (his head cut off, body left on a random shore)
- aeneas protecting his family in times of need
- echoing previous point, hecuba protecting her daughters and attempting to save priam.
is this question an 8 mark style or 10 mark content essay?
millie673
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by HeeHaw)
ok so some points i may make are
- dehumanisation of Priam (his head cut off, body left on a random shore)
- aeneas protecting his family in times of need
- echoing previous point, hecuba protecting her daughters and attempting to save priam.
is this question an 8 mark style or 10 mark content essay?
thanks!
its a 10 mark content essay
unplayable
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Not sure if it's too late, but I just did a paper with a similar question (the gloom with nothing to lighten the mood one) and here's how I structured my answer:

Tragic:
- Priam and his family witnesses the death of another of their sons, Polites, as he "pours out his life with a lot of blood", before Priam himself is killed before their very eyes and also at the altar...perhaps Pyrrhus was scorning the gods as well?
- Before this, Hecuba and her daughters were huddled around the altar "like doves driven headlong into a storm", there's a lot of vulnerability there and that emphasises the tragedy of Aeneid II
- Priam equips himself with armour he is long unaccustomed to, this highlights the desperation he feels and therefore the tragedy
- Creusa dies, and Aeneas is frantically running through the dwellings of the city to find her (again, desperation = tragedy)

Hopeful:
- Aeneas makes it out alive with Anchises, Iulus and the household gods...perhaps carrying on the legacy of Troy?
- Creusa soothes Aeneas by saying she won't be taken into captivity, and that a kingdom and royal wife await Aeneas

Hope this helps, and isn't too late...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (59)
27.19%
England (78)
35.94%
Belgium (16)
7.37%
Germany (27)
12.44%
Spain (3)
1.38%