Do I have a chance getting into cambridge with A’s and B’s in my gcses

Watch this thread
irenelange
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi
I am interested in taking architecture at cambridge university, i am predicted A* in physics A* in maths A in biology. The requirements to get it are A*AA. Despite having really good a level scores, i was kinda screwed over when it came to my gcses (A’s and B’s)
I have A’s in physics, maths and art which i believe would be the important ones they take into account.
Would i still have a chance in getting in or would this put me in a disadvantage?
alevels21
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
This is what Cambridge says:

There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.

Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five 7/8/9s at GCSE (an A is considered equivalent to 7 and an A* is considered equivalent to 8/9). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of 7/8/9s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.

(Original post by irenelange)
Hi
I am interested in taking architecture at cambridge university, i am predicted A* in physics A* in maths A in biology. The requirements to get it are A*AA. Despite having really good a level scores, i was kinda screwed over when it came to my gcses (A’s and B’s)
I have A’s in physics, maths and art which i believe would be the important ones they take into account.
Would i still have a chance in getting in or would this put me in a disadvantage?
mangosmoothie
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I think one of Oxbridge do take GCSEs into account, not sure what one though, hopefully someone else can help with that. If you have a really good personal statement I’m sure that will help. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
18.85%
The paper was reasonable (145)
37.96%
Not feeling great about that exam... (110)
28.8%
It was TERRIBLE (55)
14.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise