English past paper help

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Does anyone know how I should answer these questions The dry heat blasted through the door as it was dragged open. With it came the unescapable, corroding scent of burnt flesh. Tyrion stepped through into the concrete darkness that melted away at the presence of his torch. He hesitated. Did he really want to go through with this suggestion? Varys stood patiently behind him, curious perhaps as to whether he had the courage to proceed. He slide his foot forward and onto the first step… Then the second… The third. Each footfall proved to elevate his anxiety as the echoes continued to reverberate around the hall.
8 He reached the bottom. The distinct scrape of metal on stone sent a needle of fear through Tyrion. He paused. He didn’t even know if they were awake. Slow step by slow step, he crossed the floor. A deep, cavernous rumble came from a foot in front of Tyrion. He snapped his head around – Varys was still there, surrounded by the glow from his own torch. Tyrion turned back – a light had appeared in the pitch black. At first it shone a small, quiet blue but rapidly turned into an engulfing, white hot blaze of fire. The sharp, carved features of the dragon’s head rushed towards Tyrion, the mouth wide open and the razored-teeth gleaming. Tyrion fled back a few steps as if it was a nightmare. The fire faded and the head that dwarfed Tyrion receded calmly into the darkness. The scream of metal of stone echoed again as a second head appeared. His jaw shook violently and it took Tyrion a moment to 18 overcome his conflicting emotions.
19 ‘I’m friends with your mother,’ he finally uttered, offering his hand as a means of communicating he meant no harm. The second head snapped forward, biting down fiercely.
‘I’m here to help; don’t eat the help.’ Tyrion’s laugh sounded closer to a whimper.
‘When I was a child, my uncle asked me what gift I wanted for my name day. I begged him for one of you; it wouldn’t even have to be a big dragon I told him… it could be little like me.’ Tyrion’s arm trembled as he lowered his torch to the floor. ‘Everyone laughed like it was the funniest thing they’d ever heard and my father told me the last dragon had died a century ago.’ He moved slowly behind the second dragon’s head and placed a hand hesitantly upon the ice-cold mane of scales and horns that made up its neck. It felt like a fantasy where the dungeon had transported him back a century. ‘I cried myself to sleep that night. But here you are.’ He grabbed the bolt from the oppressive chain and ripped it from its slot. The dark metal plummeted to the ground at once and the sound clashed against the hopeful growl of the dragon.
33 Tyrion turned and almost came eye to eye with the first dragon. Its lips were peeled back and the teeth that were the size of Tyrion’s head were exposed. The dragon turned its head and with it, its own chain jangled. Tyrion repeated the action and at once both dragons turned to each other like they’d been living on opposite sides of the world. They’d clearly forgotten him in their newly reclaimed freedom; they rubbed their necks together 38 affectionately.
Tyrion rushed back up the steps to the stunned Varys and turned to survey his work. His breath was rapid. His knees were rattling in their sockets.
‘Next time I have an idea like that,’ Tyrion said simply, ‘punch me in the face.’

Section A – Reading
Answer all questions in this section.
You are advised to spend about 45 minutes on this section.
Q1: Read again lines 33 to 38 of the source.
List four things that the dragons do.
1. _______________________________________________

2. _______________________________________________

3. _______________________________________________

4. _______________________________________________ [4 marks/5 minutes]

Q2: Read again lines 8 to 18, where Tyrion meets the first dragon.
How does the writer use language here to portray how Tyrion is feeling?
You could write about:
• words and phrases
• language features or techniques
• sentence forms [8 marks/10 minutes]

Q3: Now read the whole of the passage.
The extract is taken from the middle of the novel.
How has the writer structured the text to interest you as a reader?
You could write about:
• what the writer focuses our attention on at the beginning of the extract
• how and why this focus changes as the extract develops
• any other structural features that interest you [8 marks/10 minutes]

Q4: Focus this part of your answer from line 19 to the end of the extract.
A student, having read this part of the text, remarked:
“Tyrion is clearly terrified of the dragons.”
To what extent do you agree? In your answer, you should:
• Write about the ways the author develops the tension
• Evaluate how the writer makes this moment dramatic
• Support your ideas with quotations [20 marks/20 minutes]

Section B – Writing
You are advised to spend about 45 minutes on this section.
Write in full sentences.
You are reminded of the need to plan your answer.
You should leave enough time to check your work at the end.

EITHER: Write a story inspired by the picture below:

Or: Write a story about discovering something that’s been hidden for ages.

(24 marks for content and organisation
16 marks for technical accuracy)
[40 marks]
SlaveofAll
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
Why did you put this in the relationship section?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (72)
16.48%
The paper was reasonable (214)
48.97%
Not feeling great about that exam... (104)
23.8%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
10.76%

Watched Threads