Beren227
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I'm currently in year 12, hoping to study maths at Cambridge, so I have recently started preparing for the STEP (which I will be taking in 2022). I was just wondering whether other year 12s are in a similar position or if there are any current Cambridge students who have any advice on preparing for STEP. I'm also unsure of what sort of level I should be working at now in order to have a good chance of getting in so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Last edited by Beren227; 2 months ago
r00145
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I'm also in year 12 and in the same situation as you. As far as STEP, I'm practicing with STEP 1 for now since I think it helps with interview and getting used to the STEP format, but I'll get started on STEP 2 and 3 during the summer most likely.
Beren227
Rep:
?
(Original post by r00145)
I'm also in year 12 and in the same situation as you. As far as STEP, I'm practicing with STEP 1 for now since I think it helps with interview and getting used to the STEP format, but I'll get started on STEP 2 and 3 during the summer most likely.
Nice that's kinda what I'm thinking as well. Have u been doing the foundation modules on the step support page or just going through past papers and things?
252s
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Beren227)
I'm currently in year 12, hoping to study maths at Cambridge, so I have recently started preparing for the STEP (which I will be taking in 2022). I was just wondering whether other year 12s are in a similar position or if there are any current Cambridge students who have any advice on preparing for STEP. I'm also unsure of what sort of level I should be working at now in order to have a good chance of getting in so any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂
I think looking at the STEP foundation support modules here is a good way to start. You don't necessarily have to do all of these; once you feel more familiar with the style of STEP questions and have covered all the material on the A-level specification, you should move on to full STEP 1 questions. Note that STEP 1 and STEP 2 (pre-2019) are based on the same material (but STEP 2 is harder), the A-level maths specification. Note that the STEP 3 content is based on full A-level Further Maths, so you may not get to it until Y13. The STEP support programme linked above also has similar modules for STEP 2 and 3. Here you can search for questions by topic.

When doing questions, the most important thing to do is persevere if you get stuck. If you need to consult the mark scheme, don't look at the full solution in one go; look for the bit where you were stuck and see if you can finish it by yourself.

I would also recommend trying different types of questions (not just STEP), given you're currently in Y12, eg. you can also look at MAT/AEA/maths challenge/BMO questions. This will help with problem-solving for interviews. If you get an offer, you can then do focused STEP preparation from next January onwards.
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
You might find the prep thread for 2021 helpful, there are loads of resources in the OP. The new thread should be around in a couple of months so you'll be able to find people in your position there
Beren227
Rep:
?
(Original post by 252s)
I think looking at the STEP foundation support modules here is a good way to start. You don't necessarily have to do all of these; once you feel more familiar with the style of STEP questions and have covered all the material on the A-level specification, you should move on to full STEP 1 questions. Note that STEP 1 and STEP 2 (pre-2019) are based on the same material (but STEP 2 is harder), the A-level maths specification. Note that the STEP 3 content is based on full A-level Further Maths, so you may not get to it until Y13. The STEP support programme linked above also has similar modules for STEP 2 and 3. Here you can search for questions by topic.

When doing questions, the most important thing to do is persevere if you get stuck. If you need to consult the mark scheme, don't look at the full solution in one go; look for the bit where you were stuck and see if you can finish it by yourself.

I would also recommend trying different types of questions (not just STEP), given you're currently in Y12, eg. you can also look at MAT/AEA/maths challenge/BMO questions. This will help with problem-solving for interviews. If you get an offer, you can then do focused STEP preparation from next January onwards.
Thanks for the advice! I have done the first few foundation modules but I might start working through some past questions instead because I think I will improve a lot faster that way. I'm gonna start the STEP 2 modules as well because they look rly interesting and then I'll have all the base knowledge I need to start working through some STEP 1 and 2 past papers.
Yeah I rly enjoy maths challenge and BMO questions and they're a nice break from STEP as well if you get me, so I'll have a look at some of those aswell
Beren227
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
You might find the prep thread for 2021 helpful, there are loads of resources in the OP. The new thread should be around in a couple of months so you'll be able to find people in your position there
thanks
r00145
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Beren227)
Nice that's kinda what I'm thinking as well. Have u been doing the foundation modules on the step support page or just going through past papers and things?
I've done a few of them (around 18-19 out of 25), but I felt that it was more productive on spending time on just the questions, so I ended up just doing full STEP 1 questions. I'll probably finish them off during the summer, and then transitioning to STEP 2 modules
Beren227
Rep:
?
(Original post by r00145)
I've done a few of them (around 18-19 out of 25), but I felt that it was more productive on spending time on just the questions, so I ended up just doing full STEP 1 questions. I'll probably finish them off during the summer, and then transitioning to STEP 2 modules
Nice! Wow you've done a lot lol, I've only done the first 4 foundation modules but then a lot of random STEP qs aswell. I agree with you tho as I am now going to focus on just doing full STEP 1 qs, maybe working thru paper by paper or something. I was also thinking about doing the STEP 2 modules first and then going thru STEP 1 past papers followed by STEP 2, firstly cause the STEP 2 modules look rly fun and secondly because then I should have all the background knowledge I need to do pretty much any STEP 1 or 2 q
shizhaoyu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am currently in yr12 as well and i just did step 2 today to challenge myself. it went to my expectation and hopefully i can scrape a 1. i strongly suggest looking at the website http://stepdatabase.maths.org and dr siklos' book <advanced problems in mathematics>. they are really useful from my opinion.
Last edited by shizhaoyu; 1 month ago
Beren227
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by shizhaoyu)
I am currently in yr12 as well and i just did step 2 today to challenge myself. it went to my expectation and hopefully i can scrape a 1. i strongly suggest looking at the website http://stepdatabase.maths.org and dr siklos' book <advanced problems in mathematics>. they are really useful from my opinion.
Nice how did the STEP 2 paper go in the end? I haven't done any full past papers yet instead I've just been working thru the STEP 2 modules on the step support programme. I would definitely recommend them if u haven't looked at them already! Thanks for the advice I have used the website a few times before and I will definitely have a look at the book.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (11)
6.08%
Uncertainty around my education (20)
11.05%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (20)
11.05%
Lack of purpose or motivation (27)
14.92%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (11)
6.08%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (7)
3.87%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (15)
8.29%
Financial worries (10)
5.52%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (5)
2.76%
Exposure to negative news/social media (14)
7.73%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (5)
2.76%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (22)
12.15%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (14)
7.73%

Watched Threads