Mxhdi03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, was wondering if anyone could help me decide which uni to firm and insure. I got offers from Uni of Manchester, Uni of Leeds, Warwick and St andrews. At the moment im undecided between manny and leeds. I understand st andrews and warwick are more "prestigious" but doubt i'll fit in with the posh lot. If anyone could give some advice it'll be much appreciated.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
What do you consider the pros and cons of each of them?
Mxhdi03
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by PQ)
What do you consider the pros and cons of each of them?
Manchester:
Pros - Better then leeds in Uni rankings, more prestigious, top uni for CS (6th in ranking), Good social life
Cons - more expensive, higher entry requirements,

Leeds:
Pros - Cheaper, Great social life, amazing student union, Lower entry requirements, Close to home so dont have to pay for accommodation, 9th in compsci rankings
Cons - Maths department not as strong, less reputable

These are all i can think of but idk i would like some advice from others, im leaning towards leeds. If any current student at manchester or leeds could reply and give some insight it would be much appreciated.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mxhdi03)
Manchester:
Pros - Better then leeds in Uni rankings, more prestigious, top uni for CS (6th in ranking), Good social life

Leeds:
Pros - Cheaper, Great social life, amazing student union, Lower entry requirements, Close to home so dont have to pay for accommodation, 9th in compsci rankings

These are all i can think of but idk i would like some advice from others, im leaning towards leeds. If any current student at manchester or leeds could reply and give some insight it would be much appreciated.
I would strongly recommend that you move out wherever you choose to go to university. The cost is well worth it for the extra life skills and independence that you'll develop (and the appreciation for home comforts when you move back).
MaRad4
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mxhdi03)
Manchester:

Leeds:

I'm a finalist at Leeds.

I wouldn't say Leeds is less reputable than Manchester, maybe rated less highly in your field but I don't think it is enough to make a difference given they are both Russell Group. I know people who have maths degrees from Leeds and they haven't had any issues, both got jobs straight out of uni.

As the other person has said, it is probably better to move out when you go to uni but it is entirely up to you. I know a few people who started by living at home but then found it unsustainable and moved into halls. Just a thought.

For what it's worth, Leeds has a great reputation and very good social life. It's a great university and I love the campus (when we are allowed on it).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (74)
37.76%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (20)
10.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (13)
6.63%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (48)
24.49%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
12.76%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
8.16%

Watched Threads