jmsmcb
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,
I have received offers from both Oxford and Imperial College London to study Biochemistry. At first, the obvious choice was Oxford. However, the course at Imperial includes a French component. I love French and I want to keep learning it in the future, so this is where the dilemma lies. Though I can take French classes at Oxford, I'm worried this might not be an adequate substitute. Both are asking for the same grades (39 points on the IB), so I can't really apply for both either. I recognize that this is a (very) privileged position to be in and I don't wish to upset anyone with this question. Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks!
Last edited by jmsmcb; 1 month ago
Sizz
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by jmsmcb)
Hi,
I have received offers from both Oxford and Imperial College London to study Biochemistry. At first, the obvious choice was Oxford. However, the course at Imperial includes a French component. I love French and I want to keep learning it in the future, so this is where the dilemma lies. Though I can take French classes at Oxford, I'm worried this might not be an adequate substitute. Both are asking for the same grades (39 points on the IB), so I can't really apply for both either. I recognize that this is a (very) privileged position to be in and I don't wish to upset anyone with this question. Any help would be appreciated!!
Thanks!
hey,
So I think the pros of french at imperial are that it would be free bcoz it’s part of your degree and it’s also french for the sciences rather than just general french so if you go into a science related job (which i’m assuming you would) it would probably be easier to do work in french speaking countries? But honestly english is a global language so I’m not sure if knowing science terminology in French would give you that much of an edge or even be required to say work in a lab in francophone country when you already know English. But there’s also the year abroad which looks nice.

I don’t know too much about French at Oxford but I’m assuming you’d take classes at a language centre and that’s usually charged. But in most unis, the price is heavily discounted for students so it’d still be cheaper than learning french outside of uni. You’d learn more general french at Oxford but I think you’d still get to a good level of fluency and after that it would be pretty easy to teach yourself more science based french, if that’s important to you? I got an A* in French A-level last year and I’ve been self teaching myself more business related French that wasn’t part of my A-level course. And because I already know quite a bit of standard French it’s been quite a smooth process.

Overall I think if I were you, I’d definitely go for Oxford. Knowing how to speak french in itself is an amazing quality and i don’t think employers will be too fussy about what specific areas of french you’re knowledgable in, as long as you have a good general foundation. Also you can learn French at anytime in your life in a lot of different places, even outside of uni. But Oxford is usually a once in a lifetime opportunity, it also has a lot of quirks like matriculation and other experiences that you won’t find at Imperial or most other unis in the UK. Also it’s a world renowned university so I don’t think their language centre could be to a low standard? It’s also better for employability and more aesthetically pleasing imo looool.

I’ve waffled a lot but hope this helps.
liverninthered
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You may have to pay for French classes at Oxford, although your college might reimburse you. Few undergraduates take the language classes, partly because the Oxford workload makes it hard to keep up with other academic commitments. However, I don't really think you should choose between the universities only on whether you could learn French (there are probably bigger issues)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (119)
27.11%
England (156)
35.54%
Belgium (33)
7.52%
Germany (43)
9.79%
Spain (10)
2.28%