Should I quit my job of 2 years?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm at university in my second year and I'm really struggling with motivation and time management. I have a part time job (at home, not at uni) that I have travelled back for every single weekend which means I'm good for money but have missed out on a lot. I'm now trying quite hard to get good grades and find that working both Saturday and Sunday means I just never have any spare time or last minute time to get work done, especially as I have other commitments at home. I was thinking about quitting in September before third year but the time pressure has already hit and its beginning to stress me out. My only issue is I feel bad leaving as i love the team and with COVID they are really understaffed and struggling so I don't want to leave on bad terms
SNurse1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm at university in my second year and I'm really struggling with motivation and time management. I have a part time job (at home, not at uni) that I have travelled back for every single weekend which means I'm good for money but have missed out on a lot. I'm now trying quite hard to get good grades and find that working both Saturday and Sunday means I just never have any spare time or last minute time to get work done, especially as I have other commitments at home. I was thinking about quitting in September before third year but the time pressure has already hit and its beginning to stress me out. My only issue is I feel bad leaving as i love the team and with COVID they are really understaffed and struggling so I don't want to leave on bad terms
My advice would be to give up the job in your 3rd year because that’s when it gets really stressful study wise.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I feel exactly the same you are not alome in this situation, but if you quit now you will regret it. Reason being is even though your down in the dumps right now, start forcing yourself to attend classes and doing the work last minute. It dosent matter about the grade you get that's totally ********, do your degree to the best of your ability. My thought process is you cant unchange the change, just do the work submit it. No point stressing about it, just continue the path, pass the degree for the sake of passing it. Dont listen to people are you need to get a 2:1 or first thats not true all the time its about experiance.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I feel exactly the same you are not alome in this situation, but if you quit now you will regret it. Reason being is even though your down in the dumps right now, start forcing yourself to attend classes and doing the work last minute. It dosent matter about the grade you get that's totally ********, do your degree to the best of your ability. My thought process is you cant unchange the change, just do the work submit it. No point stressing about it, just continue the path, pass the degree for the sake of passing it. Dont listen to people are you need to get a 2:1 or first thats not true all the time its about experiance.
Thanks, why do you think I will regret quitting my job though? I haven't ever missed a class and I always submit my work, i'm just struggling for time
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Reason why you will regret it is because acheivement in something which is so hard to commit to especially in this covid you cant reflect back to it and say thwt you have been through a stressful time and relate dont give up.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
If you're struggling with time management, and you're getting more stressed because of the job, I think quitting is a good choice. If you give in your notice in advance, there is no reason why you should leave on bad terms (it's not like you're planning to just stop turning up one day). Even if your team is super nice and you feel mean leaving, no one is indispensable - you will hand in your notice and they will advertise for someone new. They wouldn't lose sleep over making you redundant, so don't worry about leaving under your own steam.
University of Derby
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you are struggling. Some things to consider are:

- You're almost finished (sounds like you only have one year to go), so would it be worth wasting the money and time you have invested?

- Could you afford to quit your job? If the two things that rob your time are uni and work, perhaps reducing your hours, getting a job closer by, quitting altogether could be the best option. You will have many years of work ahead of you after you graduate - so perhaps it's worth focusing on your studies for the final hurdle.

- Speaking of the final hurdle, the third year is typically more demanding. This is not to put you off, but I would think that reducing your hours would be beneficial (but perhaps not essential) for you in the third year so you have enough time to complete your studies.

- Are you productive in the week? If you were to quit your job at the weekend, would you make use of the extra time, are you too preoccupied in the week? Are there other activities that use up a lot of your time and effort during the week that you could try and cut out temporarily?

Best of luck!
James - student rep

.tb_button {padding:1px;cursorointer;border-right: 1px solid #8b8b8b;border-left: 1px solid #FFF;border-bottom: 1px solid #fff;}.tb_button.hover {borer:2px outset #def; background-color: #f8f8f8 !important;}.ws_toolbar {z-index:100000} .ws_toolbar .ws_tb_btn {cursorointer;border:1px solid #555;padding:3px} .tb_highlight{background-color:yellow} .tb_hide {visibility:hidden} .ws_toolbar img {padding:2px;margin:0px}
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (73)
38.22%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (19)
9.95%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (12)
6.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (47)
24.61%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (25)
13.09%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (15)
7.85%

Watched Threads