The Student Room Group

Can anyone be my rent guarantor?

In order to move into university halls they are asking for a guarantor. Can my mum be my guarantor?
My dad is my guarantor so yeah I think anyone
Original post by nicolegrace1207
In order to move into university halls they are asking for a guarantor. Can my mum be my guarantor?

Hi! @nicolegrace1207

Yeah, you can pretty much put anyone you know as the guarantor, but ask them before putting their name down. I think I put my dad as mine, so your mum should be fine.

Chloe - Official Student Rep :smile:
Yes anyone can be, sometimes they have to be earning over a certain amount and provide proof of that.
Original post by Kogomogo
Yes anyone can be, sometimes they have to be earning over a certain amount and provide proof of that.

Do you know what this certain amount is? I can 100% afford to pay rent, so I’m not sure why they’re asking for a guarantor, but my mum only earns 21k a year, so I’m scared they won’t allow her.
Do you know what this certain amount is? I can 100% afford to pay rent, so I’m not sure why they’re asking for a guarantor, but my mum only earns 21k a year, so I’m scared they won’t allow her.

Usually they calculate it as rent should be about 1/3 of the total income per year (there is a more specific calculation but I can't remember what it was, but it works out to roughly 1/3). I don't know how if at all they take into account any other rents or mortgages being paid by the guarantor though. Asking for a guarantor is pretty standard for students because lettings agencies normally do not consider maintenance loans as income when assessing the student applying for the property, and also even if they did I think the calculations are usually on the basis of a 12 month contract which the maintenance loan wouldn't be enough for (never mind that most student accommodation is not a 12 month contract!).

I think it would be unlikely for your mum to be rejected as a guarantor; if that is the case, speak with your uni to find out your options. Usually unis don't want to be the subject of a news article on how they discriminate against students from low income backgrounds, especially as these backgrounds have low progression to HE and are a major focus of outreach activities, so they will probably try and figure something out to avoid basically saying "we can't accept you in halls therefore by default you aren't able to attend uni" because that would be very bad publicity for them!

Depends, each place will probably have different thresholds and some won't have any at all, so best check with your halls and get an answer as to what they want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending