Do I get fined for not voting?

Watch
LilGoat7
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi guys, I applied for the electoral register a year ago since I was planning to apply for a credit card, I did this voluntarily. The London mayor election is today but unfortunately it isn’t feasible for me to vote since the nearest polling station is quite far and I have got 2 appointments today. My friend told me that I would be fined if I’m on the electoral register (which I am) but don’t vote, can someone please confirm this? I haven’t found anything on the gov.uk website that answers my question. Thanks!
Nagromicous
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
This is absolutely false. Don't worry about it.
LilGoat7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Nagromicous)
This is absolutely false. Don't worry about it.
Could you please show me any evidence? I promise you that I believe you, I’d just like further confirmation if that’s ok
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LilGoat7)
Could you please show me any evidence? I promise you that I believe you, I’d just like further confirmation if that’s ok
Look here: https://www.gov.uk/electoral-register

You can get fined for not registering to vote if you are required to, but the UK does not operate a compulsory voting system.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Not in the UK.
The UK does not have compulsory voting laws.
spanker
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I haven't voted in the past 6 years..
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Polling stations are open until 10pm.

To answer your question though, I have not voted in a couple of elections in the past and have not received a fine.
Last edited by black tea; 1 month ago
JaseyB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi guys, I applied for the electoral register a year ago since I was planning to apply for a credit card, I did this voluntarily. The London mayor election is today but unfortunately it isn’t feasible for me to vote since the nearest polling station is quite far and I have got 2 appointments today. My friend told me that I would be fined if I’m on the electoral register (which I am) but don’t vote, can someone please confirm this? I haven’t found anything on the gov.uk website that answers my question. Thanks!
You won't get fined for not voting in a UK election, your friend might be geting confused with how they do things in Australia or from the recent Census (which you can be fined for if you don't fill it in).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (21)
31.82%
No (45)
68.18%

Watched Threads